Views: 9971|Replies: 26

Death toll of Shanghai fire climbs to 53 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-11-16 19:16:30 |Display all floors
The death toll of a big fire that engulfed a high-rise building in downtown Shanghai had risen to 53 by 9:20 a.m. Tuesday, local authorities said.

More than 70 people injured in the inferno are being hospitalized.

The 28-story building at the intersection of Jiaozhou Road and Yuyao Road in Jing'an District, a densely-populated area in Shanghai, was being renovated when it caught fire at about 2:15 p.m. Monday.

The fire was mostly extinguished at 6:30 p.m. after local authorities dispatched 25 fire units and more than 100 fire engines to the scene. Helicopters were sent to rescue people trapped on the roof.

The cause of the fire remained unknown, but a witness said he saw construction materials burning before the fire climbed up the scaffolding and quickly spread.

Jing'an District government has arranged food and accommodations for fire-affected residents evacuated to nearby hotels.

Residents said the building, built in the 1990s, housed mainly teachers from several schools in Jing'an District, many of whom were retired.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 19:17:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2010-11-16 19:16
The death toll of a big fire that engulfed a high-rise building in downtown Shanghai had risen to 53 by 9:20 a.m. Tuesday, local authorities said.

More than 70 people injured in the inferno are  ...

Very sad indeed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 19:19:39 |Display all floors
I am very sad at the news.

As more and more people are living and working in high rise buildings, will we be able to escape in case of a fire?

What can be done to prevent similar disasters in the future?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 19:45:04 |Display all floors
Sometimes I am thinking building designs are not really taking these kind of accidents into consideration.
Often such ideas come to my mind, that office or residential towers should have a permanent escape around their outer walls, a staircase for example which is not inside the building, but rather attached to it in a distance of maybe 5 meters, with bridges leading to each level. These outside escape staircases should be made of material which is hard to inflame and can sustain extreme heat. Big Buildings should have 2 or 3 or even 4 of such outer stair cases at different sides.

Why is that not possible ?

[ Last edited by Vespucci at 2010-11-16 07:49 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 19:49:02 |Display all floors
Like this building for example:
anwenderbericht_langer_eugen_2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 20:17:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2010-11-16 19:19
I am very sad at the news.

As more and more people are living and working in high rise buildings, will we be able to escape in case of a fire?

What can be done to prevent similar disasters in ...

My new place has smoke detectors and sprinklers in all rooms.

But I doubt such installations would do it in an incident as the described one.

The "Firedoors" to the staircases, on the other hand, are wooden.

But regarding hardly inflameable materials:
Hey, China is one of the two major countries worldwide that still allows
fireproof, yet only highly carcougenous, Asbestos.

If that may cheer you up.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-16 20:21:47 |Display all floors
My picture is hanging in the filter.

Here is the link (take out the gaps):

h ttp://w ww.sauter-cumulus.de/uploads/pics/anwenderbericht_langer_eugen_2.j pg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.