Views: 7025|Replies: 105

UBS whistleblower Birkenfeld begins prison .... [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-9-16 21:48:45 |Display all floors
Reuters
By Jon Hurdle
MINERSVILLE, Pennsylvania Fri Jan 8, 2010

MINERSVILLE, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - Bradley Birkenfeld, the former UBS AG banker who became the whistleblower in the U.S. government's tax probe of the Swiss bank, on Friday began a 40-month prison term that he had sought to reduce and delay.
Birkenfeld, 44, pleaded guilty in June to conspiring to defraud the United States by helping a billionaire real estate developer hide $200 million (124 million pounds) from U.S. tax authorities. He cooperated with investigators seeking to find other wealthy Americans who used Swiss bank accounts to evade U.S. taxes.

"I would like to say how proud I am to be courageous enough to come forward and do what I did to expose the largest tax fraud in the world," an angry Birkenfeld told reporters in a snowstorm at the entrance to Schuylkill County Federal Correctional Institution in central Pennsylvania.

Wearing a red windbreaker and tan pants, Birkenfeld spoke at a brief news conference before surrendering to prison authorities to begin his sentence.

He attacked federal prosecutors under former President George W. Bush for prosecuting him even after he cooperated with investigators to expose tax fraud by thousands of Americans using the secretive Swiss banking system.

"The American taxpayer should be outraged," he said. "And this is what I'm getting, an indictment from the Bush Department of Justice. You can draw your own conclusions."

Last February, UBS accepted a $780 million penalty and admitted to criminal wrongdoing for helping U.S. taxpayers hide accounts from the Internal Revenue Service.

The Swiss bank later agreed to give the names of 4,450 American clients to investigators.

"CHILLING" EFFECT

Birkenfeld's lawyer Stephen Kohn, who attended the news conference, said his client's conviction and imprisonment would have a "chilling" effect on other bankers who might consider exposing tax fraud.

"To take the whistleblower who was responsible for the single largest recovery for American taxpayers ... and put him in jail is a travesty of justice, a miscarriage of justice," Kohn said. "It's grotesque."

The 40-month sentence imposed in August by U.S. District Judge William Zloch in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, was more severe than the 30 months requested by prosecutors and the probation that Birkenfeld sought.

Kohn had sought to reduce and postpone the prison term, saying his client was prepared to cooperate further with authorities, but Zloch rejected that request on Monday.

A day later, Birkenfeld's lawyers asked the government to probe Justice Department lawyers for allegedly making false statements about the case.

Prosecutors have previously contended that Birkenfeld was unwilling to give details of work he personally did for a client, California billionaire Igor Olenicoff, who pleaded guilty to tax evasion.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-9-16 21:50:13 |Display all floors

It sure looks like being a whistleblower ........

Doesn't pay .............

And what sort of message does that send to the rest of the fraudulent criminals ......   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 00:16:09 |Display all floors
Know who butters your bread

the banksters do

they serve no time

the crooks serve no time

the banks just pay a fine with the money they steal from the working class losers

THE ANGLOS

THE ANGLOS

owned screwed and powned by the elite crooks -- same old same old story

everyone else can talk about shooting clouds out of the sky -- maybe they can scare ANGLOS

maybe the can get terrorists to hurt the ANGLOS

cut the ANGLOS

throw things at the ANGLOS

blow the ANGLOS up

but if I try and say that was the banksters, that it was their pals, that it is Kissinger, Bush Sr., Bush Jr., Brzezinski, Bernanke, Geithner, Paulson, Summers, Greenspan, Rove, Volker, Cheney, et al. and their big media pals and their big corporate pals like Hadden, Luce and Murdoch

all I hear back is ANGLOS

ANGLOS

ANGLOS

and their undying support of bed-wetters like tradervic, Alex and others telling me that there is no conspiracy

so it is

and so it must be

ANGLOS

ANGLOS

ANGLOS

DUH, CD, buddy35, mechanic, cossack and the rest of you pea-brained hate-mongering propagandists for the fools you are

safest thing  to do

is dump my shid in the filter

or cut my shid out

you don't want to take on these cold, callous, traitors!

The fat fruit-cakes of Moloch's mamby-pamby land of sacrificing anyone that stands in their way of world conquest and collective power

we eat rice and noodles

and they fly around in pollution-producing jets, stuffing their fat faces and imbibing in martinis and bloody marys

all the time telling us we don't deserve to have the money we made -- it belongs to them -- the King makers, the world shakers, the baby bombers, the mother killers, the peasant burners -- into the fire for all they CARE

[ Last edited by blueskies88 at 2010-9-17 12:19 AM ]
The Brotherhood of Knights of the Mystic Sea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 00:16:56 |Display all floors
unbelievable ... my post didn't go airmail -- will wonders never cease?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 00:22:04 |Display all floors
now I can't edit my post

that's right!

it is easier to be a coward

yep

that's what I said

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 00:23:26 |Display all floors
ANGLOS

ANGLOS

ANGLOS

who is paying these fools to put the blame on the windmills?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 00:27:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.