Views: 9800|Replies: 14

Is it necessary for elementary school to offer golf classes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-24 16:26:17 |Display all floors
Golf, considered by many people a luxurious sport, has been added as an elective course in many colleges and universities in recent years.

Now the trend has spread to one elementary school. Chengdu Era School announced last Friday that golf would be a mandatory course for students in the next semester. Students will receive 40 minutes of golf instructions a week. Two additional classes will be offered for students who are interested in learning more.

"Our aim is to improve students' comprehensive quality," said a school official. "Hopefully, our school will turn out gentlemen and noble ladies."

Can golf classes improve students' comprehensive quality?
001372a9a93f0ddd884a2f.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-24 22:36:37 |Display all floors
I hate golf!!!!!!!!!!!
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-25 01:38:06 |Display all floors

golf is for senior citizens...

and ridin in a golf cart is more fun than hittin the golfball itself (are you par with me on this hole)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-25 06:13:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cindy1225 at 2010-8-24 16:26
Can golf classes improve students' comprehensive quality?  

ridiculous,
better let 'em do latin.
from around 13/14 upwards.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-26 11:59:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2010-8-24 21:25
A course designed to ripping off the 'well-to-do' parents.

Kriminal!

Exactly, another excuse to extract money indirectly from the many thrift Chinese parents.  Football, forr instance, is much more dynamic and energetic gym class which is much more appropriate to the nature of pupils.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-26 16:42:55 |Display all floors

Reply #1 cindy1225's post

In China, elementary school is compulsory eduation stage, who will bear the cost of golf course? I don't think local government would like to take it, if so, it must be parents who shld take the cost, do you think how many family could bear the cost in china?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-26 18:14:09 |Display all floors
This is clearly all about golf as a status symbol- a way for rich people's kids to join China's 'new nobility'.  I'm not exactly a big fan of the M -ao years, but I can't help but feel that people now should learn from the relative egalitarianism of that time instead of trying to recreate the class divisions of Europe's past.

Also- golf in Chengdu may be OK (although I guess it uses up agricultural land), but golf courses in the north, in places like Beijing, are a shocking waste of water that do nothing to benefit the common people.  In fact they harm them- sometimes when poorer people are driven from their homes, it's because the developers plan to make a golf course.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.