Views: 3225|Replies: 3

Here are my english Questions ,urgent;-( [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-6 16:05:25 |Display all floors
<The rugged coral reefs dettered pirates.>
How can I understand this one? especially the word here detter means. ; )

<The complexity of modern economic systems makes them far from predicable>
Well,in this case i can understsand the meaning,but the problem is that i wanna make sure if we should use a adjective word behinde from??

<The dates we were quoted are too optimistic>
How can you explain this sentence  for me then ; )

sorry..and more
<What time does the courier come for    in the evenings?> or you guys use to,with instead the"for"?whatever i choose the  for then...@@

<If shipping costs are not fully covered, paying for delivery will be the responsibility of the recipient.>
Is this a right sentence?

If any one can help me with those questions ,i promise i will really appreciate ~~~~~it
Thank you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-8 12:22:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by vdesign2010 at 2010-8-6 16:05

Well,in this case i can understsand the meaning,but the problem is that i wanna make sure if we should use a adjective word behinde from??

sorry..and more
<What time does the courier come for    in the evenings?> or you guys use to,with instead the"for"?whatever i choose the  for then...@@

<If shipping costs are not fully covered, paying for delivery will be the responsibility of the recipient.>

If any one can help me with those questions ,i promise i will really appreciate ~~~~~it
Thank you

"<The rugged coral reefs dettered pirates.>
How can I understand this one? especially the word here detter means. ; ) ..."

First off in this case the base word is "deter" and the word in the sentence is misspelled, it should be "detered". Second when coming across a word you don't know, try using a dictionary, here is one you might find helpful: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/dictionary.html and when your better at english try a regular english dictionary, here is a online one: http://www.merriam-webster.com/ .

"If shipping costs are not fully covered, paying for delivery will be the responsibility of the recipient."
Looks fine to me.

"The dates we were quoted are too optimistic"
Again look up the words you don't know here in the dictionary.

You do the work yourself, no more freebies as it isn't actually helping you, only as you figure it out will you truly learn. I suggest you pay more attention to your teacher as the lessons are explained.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-11 03:37:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by vdesign2010 at 2010-8-6 16:05

Means that the large and dangerous coral reefs were the reason the pirates did not go this way. Dettered means to convince someone not to do something. The years in prison deter me from robbing a bank. :)

Not sure your meaning exactly but in this sentence far from predictable is a very common phrase. The exam was far from easy. What you said is far from the truth. "Far from..." means not at all.

Means someone told them what dates something was going to happen but the dates they said were much earlier than it really could happen. They were optimistic means they thought they could do the thing faster than they really could.

<What time does the courier come for    in the evenings?> or you guys use to,with instead the"for"?whatever i choose the  for then..

Not totally sure your meaning here sorry, but the "for" here is improperly used. "What time does the courier come in the evenings?" would be correct. If you use for or to inthe sentence you'd have to specify come to work or come to pick up the package or come for the mail or something. You'd have to say what they were coming for or coming to do what.

Yes.

Thank you

My pleasure! If you are needing help or want to practice English more come check out our English learning website at http://www.ethansenglishcafe.com! We have free lessons and lots of help if you need it! We also have a great QQ group with people who love to talk #50206217

Ethan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-14 04:44:28 |Display all floors
You really must watch your spelling.  ‘Deterred’ has only one‘t’, and ‘any one’ is spelt ‘anyone’ (no space).  The word ‘deter’ means literally: to prevent from doing something or to make someone less enthusiastic about doing something by making it difficult for them to do it or by threatening bad results if they do it.  So in this case the pirates were deterred because of the envisaged bad consequences of trying to negotiate dangerous coral reefs in their ships.  In other words – they were put off.

Again you have spelt ‘predictable’ wrong.  Albeit there is nothing wrong in using the adjective ‘far’ – it makes sense.  You could also use the word ‘less’. i.e. – The complexity of modern economic systems makes them much less predictable.

The dates we were told look too good to be believed (and may be exaggerated).

And how about using the verb ‘collect’ for the next one? i.e. – What time does the courier collect in the evening?

For the last one – I would change the word ‘paying’ to ‘payment’.  i.e. – If shipping costs are not fully covered, payment for delivery will be the responsibility of the recipient.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.