Author: ilearnabc

There's No Freedom of Speech in US Online [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-23 23:26:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2010-7-23 08:26
When this particular breed of foreigners fall back on such things as "asian politeness" and "Confucian education", they are in fact saying that the Chinese should be polite and civil at all times while they reserve for themselves the right to be rude

these quotes are from me. And I hope you don't count me among this "particular breed of foreigners". Actually I'm not. For several reasons.

When I reminded some rude and uncivilized individuals of Confucian education, then this is because some professional West haters here in the forum call "culture" as the most significant criterion of Chineseness and the most important (if not the only) value that counts.
Yet it's often themselves who are lacking a "cultured" behaviour.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 09:17:02 |Display all floors

Thank you for taking the time and bother to reply...

Originally posted by bern2009 at 2010-7-23 23:26

these quotes are from me. And I hope you don't count me among this "particular breed of foreigners". Actually I'm not. For several reasons.

When I reminded some rude and uncivilized  ...

I don't expect many replies...at least not unless they're under the influence...

Thanks also for noticing and emphasizing 'a particular breed of foreigners'. My expat 'friends' on this site will insist that I mean ALL foreigners. And that's when they're sober!

I take your word for it that you're not one of those although your quote is strikingly similar to the argument that this particular group would use coz they would prefer that the mainlanders (especially) remain naive and gullible. That's where the more seasoned overseas Chinese come in; to fight back and educate their brothers and sisters on the mainland. Indeed some are quite extreme in their defence. But would they be that extreme if this 'particular breed of foreigners' did not exist?

Whatever, the mainlanders are slowly learning. I sense it in the locals' behaviour. They're not as friendly as they were 10, maybe even 5 years ago. And on the pages of this very CD have been some recent articles reflecting that growing awareness eg; "'White-first' mentality still haunts many in China"
By Huang Xiangyang (chinadaily.com.cn); an honest criticism of an attitude of some Chinese wrtitten by a Chinese and, you know, he was called a 'racist' by....guess who? Some people just don't want the Chinese to wise up... Then there was another recent article in Shanghai about mixed marriages and the rate going down and the divorces going up....

So, we spy out this particular breed and call a spade a spade and we're called 'racists' coz we don't behave in the traditional way like the mainlanders...? Heh!

If some of use display some "uncivil and uncultured behaviour" maybe it's coz we learned it in the west. And we know that that is the only language this 'particuar breed of foreigners' respects... oh, let's not forget the western media and Hollywood and their encouragement of this 'particular breed of foreigners' with their drumbeat of constant lies about the country and the people....  But even they are slowly changing, I can sense, albeit very slowly....too slowly even for the very patient Chinese....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 09:43:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2010-7-24 09:17

I don't expect many replies...at least not unless they're under the influence...

Thanks also for noticing and emphasizing 'a particular breed of foreigners'. My expat 'friends' on this sit ...

ganzhuolin,

Very interesting.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 21:33:14 |Display all floors

Interesting, yes...and indisputable....!

Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-7-24 09:43

ganzhuolin,

Very interesting.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 22:35:41 |Display all floors

Most of you are confused

This has nothing to do with hypocrisy. You are trying to rationalize this so that it is, but you are failing quite badly. I can post all day that "Obama stinks, Obama sucks, or any other criticism or rant against the U.S. President. In fact, over the last decade, the vitriol against our Presidents--whether it was Clinton, Bush, or Obama--has reached epidemic proportions. But it's not a crime, and no one has ever been arrested for it. But the moment you threaten the president, and it doesn't matter if it is in the form of a "poem" or whatever--you are in a world full of trouble.

That's not to say that we don't engage in hypocritical behavior. I don't think there is a country on Earth that hasn't done so. I can sit here all day and point out the hypocrisy of the U.S., and I can also do it for China, too. But if you're going to point out U.S. hypocrisy, at least do it right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 23:48:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 00:46:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2010-7-24 09:17

Thanks also for noticing and emphasizing 'a particular breed of foreigners'. My expat 'friends' on this sit ...
The racist hatred against all Westerners (as shown by some individuals here in the forum) has nothing to do with "Chinese to wise up"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.