Author: Alex2010

Europe's Fear of the Burqa [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-20 19:56:23 |Display all floors
Petera these restrictions are not limited to Saudi Arabia, but present more or less in all M uslim countries, like for example Pakistan.

Gender separation in all public places.

The buses have extra seats for females separate from man.

Going to public swimming pools requires separation.

etc. etc.

[ Last edited by faqfaq at 2010-7-20 07:57 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 19:57:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by petera at 2010-7-20 19:48

I had a (Catholic) friend who lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for many years and had no problems.Saudi
Arabia is a Western creation and Western oil company and other workers make lots of mo ...

Well, as a man you won`t have many problems......but you don`t see women as equal human beings anyway. Crawl back into your cave.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 19:57:59 |Display all floors
One of our clowns in government calls it ' Unbritish ' to ban the burka here.  Funny that because two thirds of Brits in a recent pole are in favour of a ban .

Those against always talk about calls for a ban as coming from the right but they never mention the Islamic right-wing and THEIR agenda.  They hate the West its culture and what it stands for but here they are pushing our tolerance to the limit every opportunity they get.

Multi-culturism was forced on us, i dont personally know anybody who asked for it and it hasn't worked.

The liberal left always say it ' enriches our own culture ' it hasn't enriched mine.  If i want to know about other cultures i can go on holiday then come home but here there arn't many white Muslims-they dont mix with us and vica-versa so what we have is a divided society NOT integration and those who wear the burka are alienating themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 20:19:49 |Display all floors
The burqa is scary.  Let's be honest here.  It goes beyond racism or religious prejudice.  We as humans, look to facial cues to access situations and communicate with each other.  Walk into your workplace - we look at faces to access the overall environment - or at any place for that matter.  We can tell without on word spoken if everything is all right or not.  All primates rely heavily on facial cues.  This is innate.   The site of a burqa is scary because it robs us of that experience.  

Beyond that - it is a symbol of religious extremism - don't kid yourself.  40 years ago it was an uncommon site.   Look at pictures from the 60's and 70's from the middle east - even the hijab wasn't as popular as it is today.  It used to be very uncommon for a woman to wear a veil.  So this is more of a recent phenomenon than something that has been traditional for centuries.  And it is keeping pace with the religious extremism that we have been seeing.  Women who choose to wear it are making a statement.  It's certainly not about modesty.  A modest woman doesn't like to stand out or draw attention to herself.  So they must be making a statement and that is of religious extremism.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 20:24:56 |Display all floors
My post on this has been filtered, cutting it short burka- wearers are alienating themselves not integrating and the Islamic right-wing are more than happy for them to do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 20:28:17 |Display all floors
Yeah, that's the main point.

You surely want to know whom you are dealing with.

Only bank robbers used to cover their faces for a reason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-20 20:30:54 |Display all floors
At least they could wear a t-shirt with their face printed on it, or have an oversize ID card around their neck.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.