Views: 2652|Replies: 14

US Scientists propose anti-lesbian drug [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-10 08:24:50 |Display all floors
Truly out of a sick, twisted, sci-fi movie, US scientists have proposed giving pregnant women a form of estrogen(congenital adrenal hyperplasia ) so that their daughters don't become gay, tomboys, or have any "masculine" traits.  

"The challenge here is... to see what could be done to restore this baby to the normal female appearance which would be compatible with her parents presenting her as a girl, with her eventually becoming somebody's wife, and having normal sexual development, and becoming a mother. And she has all the machinery for motherhood, and therefore nothing should stop that, if we can repair her surgically and help her psychologically to continue to grow and develop as a girl."

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/ ... drug.html?GT1=43002

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 12:15:05 |Display all floors
Maybe you should read your own linked articles.  Hell, you didn't understand what little you did read.  Congenital adrenal hyperplasia is not a form of estrogen, it's a genetic disorder (which it states plainly in the article)    The same article mentions that the "preventing lesbians" thing is way overstated by media.

"This charge is stirring the predictable outrage, as in this Huffington Post item, which makes it sound as if some scientists are promoting the use of dexamethasone to prevent lesbianism—even tomboyishness—in all female fetuses. The press release from Northwestern is even more hyperbolic: “FIRST EXPERIMENT TO ATTEMPT PREVENTION OF HOMOSEXUALITY IN WOMB,” it screams, going on to describe how Dreger and colleagues are bringing 'to national attention the first systematic approach to prenatally preventing homosexuality and bisexuality. The ‘treatment’ is targeted at one particular population of girls, but the researchers involved in the work say their findings may have implications beyond this population.'

The facts are more complicated."

Dr. New, the one they say wants to use the drug to prevent lesbianism, etc., doesn't want to use it for those things.  She simply stated that using the drug prenatally COULD affect those things.  Specifically, FROM YOUR OWN ARTICLE (which it seems you didn't read):

"So New is in ample company when she and colleagues write that that there is 'a dose-response relationship of androgens with sexual orientation' in women with CAH. (That’s from her 2008 paper in Archives of Sexual Behavior.) Prenatal androgens, they argue, affect sexual orientation, with the result that although 'most [CAH] women were heterosexual,' the 'rates of bisexual and homosexual orientation were increased above controls ... and correlated with the degree of prenatal androgenization.'"

What has them most outraged is this:

"'These abnormalities have been attributed to the effects of excessive prenatal androgen levels on the sexual differentiation of the brain and later on behavior ... We anticipate that prenatal dexamethasone therapy will reduce the well-documented behavioral masculinization ...' in CAH girls.

She's not actively trying to prevent it but simply stating that it CAN be affected.  Still, people jumped all over her saying she was trying to prevent lesbianism.  To this, she replied:

“I have received IRB approval for the long-term evaluation of children who have received treatment with prenatal dexamethasone for congenital adrenal hyperplasia. In my six years at Mount Sinai I have not administered the drug to any woman for the purpose of treating an unborn child.  Allegations that my goal is to prevent lesbianism are completely untrue.”

I have a friend in 柳州, she was born with ambiguous genitalia (CAH) and was unable to get treatment.  This drug would have allowed her to live like a regular woman; look like a woman, have children, etc.  These are things she wants now but is unable to have.  She's a lovely person and deserves it.

The Article You Linked

Nice try.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 12:43:12 |Display all floors

Uncharacteristic

The Western media loves homosexuals and lesbians.They wouldn't say anything that would be antagonistic
to them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 14:03:18 |Display all floors
Adding 10 mg of melamin makes this drug even more powerful.

Side effects are extreme: Some babies look like monkeys after birth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 15:29:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by faqfaq at 2010-7-10 14:03
Adding 10 mg of melamin makes this drug even more powerful.

Side effects are extreme: Some babies look like monkeys after birth.

Are you discriminating monkeys? Don`t get in my face, buddy^^
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 15:55:23 |Display all floors
No, No,

I am not discriminating monkeys.

That is a misunderstanding.

I mean, ah, better they look like monkeys, than being gay, or lesbian ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 16:21:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by faqfaq at 2010-7-10 15:55
No, No,

I am not discriminating monkeys.

That is a misunderstanding.

I mean, ah, better they look like monkeys, than being gay, or lesbian ...

Why what have gays and lesbians actually done to you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.