Views: 6405|Replies: 40

Americans are still getting fatter [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-30 10:33:12 |Display all floors
WASHINGTON — Just when you thought Americans couldn't get any fatter — we did.

A study released Tuesday by the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation shows that obesity rates increased in 28 states last year. Mississippi continued its six-year reign as the country's fattest state in the study's yearly rankings, along with the highest rates of physical inactivity and hypertension. The state also has the second highest rate of diabetes.

And while most parents think childhood obesity is a problem, they don't believe it affects their own children.

The annual obesity report by two public health groups includes a new survey of parental attitudes about the issue. The survey shows an increasing awareness of obesity and its threat to public health.

"This report shows that the country has taken bold steps to address the obesity crisis in recent years, but the nation's response has yet to fully match the magnitude of the problem," said Jeffrey Levi, executive director of the Trust for America's Health, which writes the annual report with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

The new survey finds that 84 percent of parents believe their children are at a healthy weight , even though nearly a third of children and teens are considered obese or overweight. Still, 80 percent of those polled by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research and American Viewpoint said childhood obesity is a significant and growing problem.

Obesity in adults is defined as a body mass index of 30 or more, while overweight is a body mass index between 25 and 30.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 21:43:35 |Display all floors
Personally I link obesity directly to a countries future competitiveness. Obesity is lack of intelligence, health and discipline. The future doesn't look very bright for the USA, they will probably only change once they're unable to pay for their food bills...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 22:16:07 |Display all floors
haha Obesity has nothing to do with intelligence or discipline. It has to do with self control and laziness. And China and most of the developed world is getting fatter, not just the USA. Bad food and cars.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 01:33:26 |Display all floors
I think that ignorance is part of the problem also. Weight control is very well understood and it has been understood for many years. The method is simple; to loose weight consume fewer calories than your body uses. This can be achieved by: eating less, choosing lower calorie foods and by getting more exercise. Yet, I've encountered many people who are confused about it and don't know how to manage their weight. There is a lot of misinformation out there about the causes of obesity and methods of weight control.

And children in the US get less exercise than they did before. When I was a kid we went out and did more things than kids today. When we needed to go some place in the area we would usually walk or use a bicycle. We lived in the country had a large yard and did yard work. And we had many sports activities we were involved with. We were always going out and doing things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 01:46:30 |Display all floors
It's the lifestyle.  Americans typically put in very long hours of work compared to europeans.  Hell, I went over six years with never taking one week's vacation.  So, what gets sacrificed is a healthy diet.  Who has time to cook?  Easier to go to mcdonalds.

And of course the exercise factor.  kyosan is right about that.  When I was a kid, in the summer I was out all day doing something.  Didn't return home until I was hungry.  You can't do that now.  It would be considered child neglect.  My parents had no idea where I was and what I was doing all day.  Try that these days...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 01:48:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-7-1 01:46
It would be considered child neglect.  

Everything for the best of the child,
maybe a bit too caring,
overexaggerating?
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-7-1 01:55:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-7-1 01:46
It's the lifestyle.  Americans typically put in very long hours of work compared to europeans.  Hell, I went over six years with never taking one week's vacation.  So, what gets sacrificed is a hea ...

Garbage ..................................... !

Those fat b@stards waddling up US streets are nothing more than peon low paid job couch potatoes.

Arguing for a shorter working week.

The slim ones are those that set a rigid long work schedule and then even exercise regularly ...................  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.