Views: 4745|Replies: 6

Beijing's gaokao top scorer rejected by US universities [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-29 11:15:57 |Display all floors
Every June, they capture the nation's attention as they become the top scorers, or zhuangyuan, in the college entrance exam, or gaokao, across China. People take it for granted that these students are headed toward the most prestigious universities.

But this years Beijing's zhuangyuan, Li Taibo was reject by all the 11 of US top 20 universities that he has appied including Brown, Caltech, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, University of Chicago, Williams, Yale.

It seems that the top scoere of gaokao in china failed to be warmly welcomed by US universities. But he is the most wanted one by China's most prestigious universities incluing Tsinghua.
This let me recall the similar case in which a gaokao zhuangyuan in Hubei was also rejected by a HK univerisity years ago.

How thess rejections humiliate  China's education.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 11:53:08 |Display all floors
Top rated U.S. universities use more than just test scores in evaluating applicants today. I saw a television program recently that covered Harvard and Princeton, both were requiring imaginative video introduction submissions. They also consider a person's background (contributions to society, charities, organization membership, etc.) and the overall contribution of the student personality to the campus body.

It's very difficult, people must diversify and have wide ranging interests (beyond studying) to gain acceptance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 13:09:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2010-6-29 11:53
Top rated U.S. universities use more than just test scores in evaluating applicants today. I saw a television program recently that covered Harvard and Princeton, both were requiring imaginative vi ...

that diversities can be rarely seen in china's high schools

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 10:42:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-6-29 22:40
You Chinese will in the end have to accept that your gaokao scores are worthless statistics. Reform your education system and its goals - in YOUR OWN interest! Then you won't have to send your brig ...

yes , in middle school , if you want to participate and win the gaokao , you need to or must learn about nine courses, no matter you interest or not , including Chinese , math ,English , politics, biology , geography, physics, chemistry, history....imagining that you were a Chinese student , can you deal with all , and  still have redundant time to do something interested ? crazy...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 14:49:14 |Display all floors
This isn't exactly surprising. Chinese education is in major need of reform, hopefully they will do it soon as they've been talking about it continuously for 10 years or so... I guess it's a 10 year plan that will take 20 years.

Diversify, be creative and interesting if you want to go to a good school in the West. Don't just sit and study all day, study hard, help your community, create something interesting and volunteer anywhere you can.

GaoKao is a pointless exam that just tests how you did that day, it says nothing about your school life or your intelligence. I have a friend in Nanjing who got sick the week of the Gaokao and did bad on it after years of getting the highest marks in her class, no good University for her. Absurd.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 13:08:56 |Display all floors
Origially posted by tamson at 2010-6-29 11:15

Beijing's gaokao top scorer rejected by US universities..........

But this years Beijing's zhuangyuan, Li Taibo was reject by all the 11 of US top 20 universities that he has appied including...............

Rejections are part and parcel of the road of endeavor to one's future success. One can never tell that being turned down by those universities could end up to be a blessing in disguise. Besides, there are still many other good and reputable universities in the East. G.W. Bush was from Yale. So what?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 01:20:18 |Display all floors
The problem is the vast diffrence between china's and developed country's educational system. In China, education is about working hard and studying a lot. In the west, it's about putting your knowledge into action and be creative with it.

This gives Chinese students a huge disadvantage.
When I applied to oxford, they've asked me to write an essay elaborating the question: "would you rather be a book or a poem?"

Afterwards, they don't choose students according to the amount of diffrent words they use and mistakes they make - the main criteria is how brought the student's horizon and how deep his thoughts are.
So China should focus more on teaching their pupils how to think, how to change something and how to see behind things, rather than just teaching them facts that they should merely learn by heart.

If I visited a Chinese high school, my gaokao mark would probably be less than 100 But in the west, I'm lucky enough to be able to choose among the leading universities.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.