Views: 13423|Replies: 16

Which is bigger, the language or culture gap? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-27 14:59:09 |Display all floors
What's the bigger gap between East and West? Language or culture? People are always talking about learning English and language knowledge is very important but is it more important than knowledge of culture? Which causes the most misunderstandings in your experience?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-19 01:06:57 |Display all floors
They are intertwined, most students suck at communicating with foreigners because they only ever learn the language they neverlearn where the language is from or how it is used, which is culture. I'd say the culture and language gab are the same thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-22 00:39:06 |Display all floors

Culture is the bigger gap...

Originally posted by britteacher at 2010-6-27 14:59
What's the bigger gap between East and West? Language or culture? People are always talking about learning English and language knowledge is very important but is it more important than knowledge o ...

...and causes more misunderstandings. A straightforward, down to earth, little example:

Many of my students like to learn english slang. They think it makes them 'hip' and knowldgeable. One of my students (adult) once applied for a job in a joint venture company. In her letter of application she used a lot of slang and was quite proud of it and asked me to vet it. The usage wasn't bad but I warned her about using such language in a business letter (and environment). Clearly she did not understand that even business has its own 'culture'. And the language you use reflects how much you understand that culture... She really believed that slang would get her through. She never got a reply from that company....

Culture is like an umbrella; language, music, literature, theatre, films etc. are like the spokes that open the umbrella... a person might be one of those spokes. But that doesn't mean that s/he sees the 'entire whole'...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-23 23:04:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2010-7-22 00:39

...and causes more misunderstandings. A straightforward, down to earth, little example:

Many of my students like to learn english slang. They think it makes them 'hip' and knowldgeable. One  ...

ys agrees.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-24 19:43:42 |Display all floors

culture my personal opinion

language is an indispensible part of culture ,culture embraces values beliefs religions and thinking patterns and language is a carrier of all these ingredients. therefore culture gap is wider than language gap....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-26 11:10:39 |Display all floors

culture is the main gap

take me for example ,language is a big gap for me to understand the outside world ,however ,I can learn it in my country,and i believe i am able to grasp it well,but ,when it comes to culture,it is hard to understand its real meaning  unless you put yourself into the circustumence where can be cultivated by local culture and civilization gradually.
so cultrue is the main gap for me .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-26 12:50:52 |Display all floors
Culture is the main gap.
I think learn culture is more interesting than learn language.
We only use language to communicate with each other, written or oral language. e.g.I usually use written English when working with foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.