Views: 25764|Replies: 62

Rent-a-White guy [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-22 09:35:40 |Display all floors
This story has been breaking out in America.  This kind of thing brings shame to the Chinese people.  White "worshipping" needs to stop.  There will be more and more westerners coming into China thinking they can get whatever they want because of their skin.  

Not long ago I was offered work as a quality-control expert with an American company in China I’d never heard of. No experience necessary—which was good, because I had none. I’d be paid $1,000 for a week, put up in a fancy hotel, and wined and dined in Dongying, an industrial city in Shandong province I’d also never heard of. The only requirements were a fair complexion and a suit.

“I call these things ‘White Guy in a Tie’ events,” a Canadian friend of a friend named Jake told me during the recruitment pitch he gave me in Beijing, where I live. “Basically, you put on a suit, shake some hands, and make some money. We’ll be in ‘quality control,’ but nobody’s gonna be doing any quality control. You in?”

I was.

And so I became a fake businessman in China, an often lucrative gig for underworked expatriates here. One friend, an American who works in film, was paid to represent a Canadian company and give a speech espousing a low-carbon future. Another was flown to Shanghai to act as a seasonal-gifts buyer. Recruiting fake businessmen is one way to create the image—particularly, the image of connection—that Chinese companies crave. My Chinese-language tutor, at first aghast about how much we were getting paid, put it this way: “Having foreigners in nice suits gives the company face.”

Six of us met at the Beijing airport, where Jake briefed us on the details. We were supposedly representing a California-based company that was building a facility in Dongying. Our responsibilities would include making daily trips to the construction site, attending a ribbon-cutting ceremony, and hobnobbing. During the ceremony, one of us would have to give a speech as the company’s director. That duty fell to my friend Ernie, who, in his late 30s, was the oldest of our group. His business cards had already been made.

Dongying was home to Sun Tzu, the author of The Art of War, and that’s just about all it has going for it. The landscape is dry and bleak, with factories in all directions. We were met at the airport by Ken, a young Canadian of Taiwanese extraction with a brush cut and leather jacket, whose company, we were told, had been subcontracted to manage the project.

The lobby at our hotel was dimly lit and smelled like bad seafood. “At least we have a nice view,” Ernie deadpanned as he opened the drapes in our room to reveal a scrap yard. A truck had been stripped for parts, and old tires were heaped into a pile. A dog yelped.

Ken drove us to the company’s temporary offices: small rooms with cement floors and metal walls arranged around a courtyard. We toured the facility, which built high-tech manufacturing equipment, then returned to the office and sat for hours. Across the courtyard, we could hear Ernie rehearsing his speech.

The next morning was the official ribbon-cutting ceremony. A stage and red carpet had been set up near the construction site. Pretty girls in red dragon-patterned dresses greeted visitors, and Chinese pop blared from loudspeakers. Down the street, police in yellow vests directed traffic. The mayor was there with other local dignitaries, and so were TV cameras and reporters. We stood in the front row wearing suits, safety vests, and hard hats. As we waited for the ceremony to begin, a foreman standing beside me barked at workers still visible on the construction site. They scurried behind the scaffolding.

“Are you the boss?” I asked him.

He looked at me quizzically. “You’re the boss.”

Actually, Ernie was the boss. After a brief introduction, “Director” Ernie delivered his speech before the hundred or so people in attendance. He boasted about the company’s long list of international clients and emphasized how happy we were to be working on such an important project. When the speech was over, confetti blasted over the stage, fireworks popped above the dusty field beside us, and Ernie posed for a photo with the mayor.

For the next few days, we sat in the office swatting flies and reading magazines, purportedly high-level employees of a U.S. company that, I later discovered, didn’t really exist. We were so important, in fact, that two of the guys were hired to stay for eight months (to be fair, they actually then received quality-control training).

“Lots happening,” Ken told me. “We need people for a week every month. It’ll be better next time, too. We’ll have new offices.” He paused before adding: “Bring a computer. You can watch movies all day.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/magaz ... t-a-white-guy/8119/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-24 08:52:31 |Display all floors
White worshipping will end soon enough and whites will go back to be being viewed as hairy barbarians.

It is the fact that currently the US and Europe quite a bit higher economic standards of living then China that would be the primary driver of this problem. After this current economic crash occurs, a few parts of Europe will be reduced to a standard of living no better then that of Thailand today. Most Americans will see standards of living dropping by 20-30% when this crisis is fully worked through.

During that time though the standards of living in China will march foward. I expect that the SOL in China except for the more remote villages and provinces will be on par with much of Southern Europe. With a few cities and provinces in China being on par with parts of Northern Europe.

When that occurs, the confidence of the Chinese people will have increased dramatically the cosmetic surgery to change eyelids shape will drop off (while other forms of cosmetic surgery will increase, breast implants, liposuction, face lifts etc)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 15:45:29 |Display all floors
Wow, this news even made CNN.  The comments are racist as usual towards Chinese people.  On one hand you have americans arguing that you should boycott all Chinese goods, on the other hand you have Americans talking about how much they have profited off China....

The Asian race is so shameful sometimes.  When our own people can't even get jobs because we are not white.  If I applied for an ESL job in China, Korea, Vietnam, etc...I would get denied because I am Asian while some White french person who can barely speak english will get the job simply because they are White.

Racism against our own people is the biggest problem in Asia.  Until this stops, all of Asia will still be backwards.

[ Last edited by wetac0s at 2010-6-29 03:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 16:32:30 |Display all floors
Actually don't need to be overly concerned with this kind of thing.
I won't say it's racism against your own race but just using people of
different races or ethnic groups for different purposes.
Those Chinese companies that hire white persons might have specific
purposes on mind. Especially now that Chinese companies are thinking
about going global. Maybe foreign faces and expertise are needed for specific jobs.
E.g Chinese business men from going to European countries, if they have European or local people hired to work with them, accompanying them for business negotiations, or
doing some payments or business transactions, local European employees would be
of big help, especially Chinese who are special targets of robbery and other crimes by local gangsters. Chinese businessmen going with European employees would help to avert these attacks.
Also in dealing with local officials, I'm sure they are of good help too.
So don't need to over-react about hiring white men for jobs in Chinese companies,
they're useful for some purposes.
So it's not really racism but just being practical on using people from different ethnic groups for different purposes.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 17:20:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by correction at 2010-6-29 16:32
foreign faces and expertise are needed for specific jobs.

There is no expertise involved in cases like this.
This is an attempt to mislead those in attendance. (And possibly defraud)

People are told that these are foreign representatives involved with the company in various positions of responsibility and expertise. (And they are not)
It's a lie plain and simple.

Anyone who has been here long enough knows someone who has done this. (And it's been going on for a long time, this is not news)
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 17:30:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wowzers at 2010-6-29 17:20

There is no expertise involved in cases like this.
This is an attempt to mislead those in attendance. (And possibly defraud)

People are told that these are foreign representatives involved ...

Perhaps not in this case, but they might have some other things
which they might find these laowias useful in future business expansion into western countries.
Using them in China is just the first step.
They don't need to tell you everything in their business strategy.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 17:32:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by correction at 2010-6-29 17:30

Perhaps not in this case, but they might have some other things
which they might find these laowias useful in future business expansion into western countries.
Using them in China is just the f ...

BS.
This is fraud.
Just because you don't want to face the obvious doesn't change it. (And it is widespread)
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.