Author: timbatu

Crisis Looming for China K-12 Schools [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-29 16:06:16 |Display all floors
It's clear that China by now manages to produce some top students through its own education system, but the majority are still well below international top standards. If it wants to grow in the service industry and in engineering it will have to up its game. You can't become the Asian Germany either (top quality manufacturing and export oriented economy) without top schooling at all levels (not just Universities but apprenticeships and vocational schools). Just like India this is where China struggles the most, to get well qualified labourers, not just Uni graduates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-29 23:53:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by in_ningbo at 2010-6-29 16:06
It's clear that China by now manages to produce some top students through its own education system, but the majority are still well below international top standards. If it wants to grow in the ser ...

Your perception is absolutely false.

The real success of Chinese education so far is a STRONG math education for MOST of the students. Chinese math education did not create elites but created a strong math nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 01:00:08 |Display all floors

May be one of Darrell's old employees...

Originally posted by seneca at 6/28/2010 04:42 AM
I know he hasn't. BUt he isn't Chairman. I wonder too who the heck he is. He certainly has no Chinese schooling.

... Coleman Aerospace - much like manoj was.  It you take a look at the history of the company website, you will see he had a few expats on his payroll.

Either that - or this is the latest ghost for changbula. <shrug>

Regardless - given his rather impotent swipes at the powers to be in Beijing - it's not like he has any backing with the mods.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 01:37:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2010-6-30 01:00
... Coleman Aerospace - much like manoj was.  It you take a look at the history of the company website, you will see he had a few expats on his payroll.

Either that - or this is the latest g ...

Is this related to the discussion? Why pigs like you nose into everywhere, including a Chinese forum? I mean if you have a brain, I would have welcomed your coming. But you are such a dmb pig, racist and violent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 04:03:23 |Display all floors

<smile> Looks like we have a winner...

... so how long were you an employee of o' Darrell?  And how is the old man doing?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 04:34:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2010-6-30 04:03
... so how long were you an employee of o' Darrell?  And how is the old man doing?

Here is my response, thanks to Jenny from Nigeria:

Trader, ODarrell and I live in Africa and we do not have houses, cars or shoping malls. We live with monkeys in trees. When it rains, the forest is flooded. We have to swim from tree to tree. This is how we lost our tails.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:22:16 |Display all floors
I've skimmed through this topic here and as usual there're a lot of unnecessary generalizations.  Yes, I've met more Americans than Chinese who're poor at maths, but that's probably because Chinese civilization is very much oriented towards things mathematical, as could be seen in our ancient inventions, from the first waterclocks to cardgames and to the way numbers crop up in our language. When a Guangdong peasant says "I don't care whether it's three-sevens twenty-one" he means he couldn't careless over something. For centuries the Great Wall was known not as such but as the "wan-li chang-cheng." Few people know today how closely modern universities follow the ancient Chinese civil service system in which one could progress through the rough equivalencies of the baccalaureate, master, and PhD.  Anyway, there's a story that, during the oral examination - the last step of the exam system as in modern post-graduate education - a candidate was asked by the Emperor about the structure of a distant bridge (the Emperor could be said to be an external but most important examiner). Apparently, that bridge had two rows of arches (looking like holes or tunnels from the side), one above the other.  The question was: "how many were on the upper part of the bridge, and how many on the lower part?"

Now most of us today would call that a trivial question, except perhaps to an engineer. And that was exactly how the candidate felt. Exasperated, he blurted to the Emperor: "You Majesty, why ask about such a seventy-three eighty-four thing?"

Now seventy-three eighty-four means something that's trivial, but that also happened to be the number of arches on the top and bottom parts of the bridge. Our lucky candidate passed his exam with flying colors.

Perhaps the above story also brings up two questions:

1. Despite the fact that few of us need all the knowledge we acquire at tertiary levels, almost every college, whether in China or in other countries, tend to insist that we learn them. I've never had any occasion to use the stuff I learned from earth science or anthropology, or from the basic sciences such as physics, chemistry, and biology. Are such courses dispensable then?

2. As a corollary to question one, should education be geared towards finding lucrative employment? Or should it also serve as a vehicle for transmitting the culture of a people to the next generation, and also a means of fostering national unity that's so vital in a young republic like China?

Finally, I think all nations and regions have both strong and weak points in their education systems. China's education isn't superb, but it's not all bad either.  I agree that European primary and secondary schooling tend to be superior to the American system, but would say that American universities are generally superior to that found in the Old World. To the idea that Europe's educational superiority is indicated in the fact that Europeans could speak more languages than Americans, I think that has little to do with education itself.  Because so many small nations co-exist side by side in Europe,  it's not such a great deal: for the past few years I've lived in many Southeast Asian countries, and have found most people of Chinese descent there could speak at least three languages.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.