Author: expatter

Anonymity, Full Registration, and Trader Vic [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2010-5-24 05:05:59 |Display all floors

Does it matter

If this is your real opinion, you should be brave and stand by it , instead of hiding behind a front. If that happens we will get a polite logical debate, not abuse from cowards.

I agree with the Chinese Government on this

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-24 19:22:11 |Display all floors

dusty1

What you say is true.

In a forum with scrupulously strict mods, I believe that can make sense.

However, when I see what the mods allow in this forum.

It doesn't.

If fact I have wondered at times if the mods want the English speakers to look like Yahoos.     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-24 22:04:18 |Display all floors

<smile> And the right question has been asked...

Originally posted by expatter at 5/24/2010 06:22 AM
If fact I have wondered at times if the mods want the English speakers to look like Yahoos.  

... to which I do believe most folks here already know the answer.  There is nothing better than propaganda that is generated by your 'friends/enemies' - especially when it is generated for free.

As for the topic at hand - not going to lie, a Dale Carnegie graduate I am not.  I have not exactly been the biggest fan of 4chan style forums, outside the 4chan website proper - especially when the 'Monsters of the ID' are completely unchecked.  While I would like to think that all the participants at the China Daily BBS are 'harmless', the question of guanxi and history of P.R. Chinese politics can make a person cautious.

Given the events of the past with Wassim Chao (wchao37) and Darrell Coleman (chairman), I found very necessary to force the issue of identification in light of specific threats against my wife's family in P.R. China.  I do believe that if a full registration system was in place - those threats would not have been made.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-24 22:31:59 |Display all floors

TV

One feels the halls creak with the history of the forum and sometimes wonders about the scars and damage of what has gone before.

And being a reasonably new member I have felt it my duty to let those who understand it deal with in their own way.

With regards registration:

My point, as you know, was that the situation states as much about registration as non-registration.

In addition, disagreements would never have got that far in the first place if there had been a system more interested in the health of the board.

Rather than just the topics.

Just the other evening I was threatened with death, and the post still exists.   

I remember years ago a forum for DVD burners and software  and I was desperate to get answers.
I joined and............
A person wrote back and said, "Why if I had only a 2X burner, I would beat the wife."
I wrote back jokingly and said something like, "If I could get a better burner, why I would beat your wife for you".

I got banned.

And I still couldn't get my software and burner to work.      

I can only hope that it all works out for all parties involved.      

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-24 23:57:03 |Display all floors

No problems...

Originally posted by expatter at 5/24/2010 09:31 AM
One feels the halls creak with the history of the forum and sometimes wonders about the scars and damage of what has gone before.

And being a reasonably new member I have felt it my duty to let those who understand it deal with in their own way...

... this BBS does have a well deserved reputation for being a bit of a madhouse - as long as certain boundaries are not crossed, the madness can be relatively harmless.  Then again, with any long form series - there springs a rather long lithy of background information as the forum continues on - to which a new person new to this site can either blissfully ignore or scholarly review at their own peril.

Regardless, this madhouse has one unique feature that will keep people coming - it is the one place in P.R. China that all folks from around P.R. China, and the world, can visit would too much trouble (in terms of proxies, firewalls, etc.).

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-25 00:27:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-25 01:25:50 |Display all floors

Que Sera. Sera. Baiquen

The world is but a stage, and we all just attempt to play our parts.  Whether we do it straight or for laughs, that is another matter.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.