Views: 6071|Replies: 55

Anonymity, Full Registration, and Trader Vic [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-23 02:46:50 |Display all floors
Like everyone else here in the forum I have been an onlooker in various different spats.
And the question has arisen about anonymity and full registration.

It is a good question, and as usual two sides.

Why would people register anonymously, well obviously because they do not want someone to know who they are. In fact this may encourage registration.

Why would someone accept full registration? Maybe because they feel bold enough not to worry about this as they are not going to be diverse. But this might discourage registration.

Trader Vic is one of the greatest proponents of full registration and has mocked others for not wanting it, and yet, is maybe if I have the facts correct, one of the main reasons against it.

My apologies to Trader Vic if I am wrong and I hope you will correct me if I have misunderstood.
Trader Vic has made these comments:

Chinadaily BBS » News Talk» Free Talk» Trader Vic and Company's Don Quixote (and everything else) Thread
Page 34  #665
You really haven't read my earlier threads (that have not been swept out of the sandbox)...  I think you will see that when push comes to shove, I can raise some serious Hell.

As for me - I have nothing to hide - which tends to piss off more than a fair share of twits.  However, it is that same 'naked man' approach that keeps said twits at bay - none of them are willing to 'get naked' to go 'toe to toe'... Ancient Greek Wrestling Style.

... have a nice propaganda poster thread that you wife may get a chuckle out of, somewhere in this forum.

As for the full registration... more than a few folks in the peanut gallery are terrified of it, so I do not seeing that happening in the near future.

Chinadaily BBS » News Talk» World Affairs Today» N.Korean women up for sale in China
Page 4  #80  
... you argued AGAINST full registration - so reap what you sow.

Therefore anyone who is against full registration is a member of the ‘Peanut Gallery’, or a ‘Twit’, or even just downright wrong.

Yet I seem to remember TV was offering $500 for the name and photograph of a member that he was in dispute with.

This does seem at odds with the premise that full registration is a good process.

With all due respect to TV, I am sure that this was for him a matter of great offence to make him reply thus.  But this is a matter for the CD and anonymity, not for the call of full registration where someone might wish to take a verbal issue to a higher plane.

If the facts are correct and TV did offer money in order to discover the personal details of a forum member, then it becomes the main argument for anonymity.

As retribution may be the outcome of personal remarks, and then that rests on just how personally the receiver took the comments and a host of other human concepts.

Yes, human traits, the ones that lead to violence and war.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-23 09:08:49 |Display all floors

#1 Then again.........

what can you expect from someone like TV, who lives an a delusional world that goes no further than his computer screen and keyboard?

I guarantee you this expatter: If that day comes when CD decides to make full registration compulsory, these are the 2 solutions TV will take:

a) Register a false ID (maybe his Chinese wife)
b) Vaporize in thin air

I accept bets on this one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-23 09:09:58 |Display all floors

#2 an before anyone asks.......

this is what I will do if full registration is compulsory.

Leave CD!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-23 09:22:55 |Display all floors
I think Seneca would mostly be worried about full registration.

I don't remember how many times he attacked Chinese women, Chinese people. He would lose his job in China at once if people find out what his real identification is.

[ Last edited by ilearnabc at 2010-5-23 09:27 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-23 09:25:56 |Display all floors

#4 that would be another member......

who would either register his Chinese wife or vaporize!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-23 11:55:59 |Display all floors
Facebook is littered with fully registered people who said ' the wrong thing '

And literally lost their jobs.

If you want boring PC stuff then yeah, full registration but expect mass exodus.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-23 12:30:38 |Display all floors

QUOTE: I would know for sure that I would have to add security features to my several abodes.

Wow! You have several and numerous dachas, and a wife in each one maybe?

By your own reckoning, you are fit to become one of the Party elite in China.  

Or are referring to the ubiquitous motorway bridges that dissect the country.     

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.