Views: 2857|Replies: 4

Is China too focused in its economic growth yet neglected its social problems? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-5-14 18:43:14 |Display all floors
Is China too focused in its economic growth yet neglected its social problems?

09:35 GMT, Friday, 14 May 2010 10:35 UK BBC NEWS

'Social tensions' behind China school attacks

Security has been increased at schools following the spate of attacks

China's Premier Wen Jiabao has said a spate of fatal attacks on schools shows the country has "social tensions" which must be addressed.
Wen Jiabao's comments, to a Hong Kong television channel, are the most direct official remarks on the violence.

At least 17 people, mostly children, have been killed and dozens injured in a series of apparently random bloody attacks in the past two months.
Officials have ordered an increase in security at schools and nurseries.

But Mr Wen said that as well as boosting the security presence, China needed to "handle social problems, resolve disputes and strengthen mediation at the grassroots level".

There has been much speculation in China that inadequate understanding of mental health issues and a lack of official outlets to air grievances has contributed to the violent outbursts recently seen.

China's minister in charge of public security, Wu Heping, said the crimes deserved "the outrage of all Chinese people".

"The public security bureaus and judicial authorities will severely punish this kind of crimes according to law," he told reporters.

China concern over school attacks

But Mr Wu also said society was changing rapidly and that subsequent changes in policy were be needed.
"Innovation in the management of society is not only essential but urgent," he said.

"I have noticed the central government's demand for the public security bureaus, under the leadership of all levels of local government, to properly handle the various conflicts in society."

There have been at least five violent attacks on schools and nurseries in China in recent months, mostly carried out by unemployed local men.

In the latest attack, on Wednesday, seven children - the youngest three years old - and two adults were killed by a man wielding a meat cleaver at a kindergarten in Hanzhong city, Shaanxi province.

The attacker, Wu Huanming, was described as quiet and unremarkable by his neighbours.

He was reported to have owned the building in which the privately-run kindergarten was held and to have been involved in a rental dispute with its manager, Wu Hongying.

She and her mother were both killed and Mr Wu, who was not thought to be related, later killed himself.

Li Zhenfeng, a deputy police chief in Hanzhong, said Mr Wu had also been suffering from depression linked to worsening physical illnesses.

"With these factors combined, Wu Huanming decided to take his revenge against others and commit suicide, and he directed his hatred toward Wu Hongying," said Mr Li.

Correspondents say China has in the past had a comparatively low rate of violent crime, meaning the recent violence has been all the more shocking.

THIS YEAR'S ATTACKS
12 May: Seven children and two adults killed and 11 hurt in Hanzhong, Shaanxi province
30 April: Five children hurt in hammer attack in Weifang, Shandong
29 April: Three adults and 28 children injured in Taixing, Jiangsu
28 April: At least 15 children and one teacher injured in Leizhou, Guangdong
24 March: Eight children killed in Nanping, Fujian

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-16 11:37:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-5-15 09:57
Hello Chinawatcher!

I remember a worker that was shortchanged by his employer. The worker confronted him several times, asking for his dues; the employer arrogantly turned him down and ordered h ...

the anger doesn't  solve the problems which only can destroy your own life and destiny. furthermore,there are not so many obedient citizens anymore.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-16 19:28:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ownerchina at 2010-5-16 11:37

the anger doesn't  solve the problems which only can destroy your own life and destiny. furthermore,there are not so many obedient citizens anymore.

The 'anger' may not solve the problem, but it addresses the problem. This effectively put pressure on the officials-in-charge to come up with constructive solution. Not asking questions / not raising concerns will only foster "hidden concerns" which heats up in the dark and ultimately lead to some kind of uprising - the last thing that CCP wants. Therefore, it is in CCP's best interest to listen to its people and address the problem appropriately.

On your "destroy your own life and destiny" point, this is a very dangerous thought. As a patriot, we ought to put our country before ourselves. As long as these serious problems are not solved adequately, we can never live in peace. For there will be more and more school attacks.  Then wouldn't that lead to "destroying our own life and destiny" then? These are constructive questions that worth pondering upon.

And on your final point, we will never know how many "obedient citizens" there are. These statistics are not published and are often hidden by corrupted ranking officials to "cover their own arse". So, the problem remains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-17 08:11:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinawatcher at 2010-5-16 19:28

The 'anger' may not solve the problem, but it addresses the problem. This effectively put pressure on the officials-in-charge to come up with constructive solution. Not asking questions / not ...

let  me ask you,if i lose my current job,who would cover me or offer me compensations? not company,not society commitee,no one would  care...even half yr or whole yr I am jobless.
How to prevent anger citizens? or just to find security guards for the kindergarden?
many issues still pending on...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-17 17:11:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ownerchina at 2010-5-17 00:11

let  me ask you,if i lose my current job,who would cover me or offer me compensations? not company,not society commitee,no one would  care...even half yr or whole yr I am jobless.
How to prev ...

Arh, I see you use the word "I". it is my opinion that we need to put our country before our lives. I think it all comes down to whether you are willing to sacrifice yourself for your country. It all boils down to: how much you love China.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.