Views: 138804|Replies: 595

Awesome Expo but Uncivilised Behaviour [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-5-12 22:39:27 |Display all floors
I came to Shanghai for a 7-day visit to the expo. As an oversea Chinese, I am very proud that China is now an economic superpower and I found the expo, especially the Chinese pavillions such as the one on Urban Planet, awesome. The first class service provided by the unpaid volunteers is to also be applauded.
However, my visit is marred by the uncivilised behaviour of the visitors and some people I encountered in Shanghai city. The pushing, shoving, manhandling (yes, manhandling!), spitting and queue jumping are shocking. Whether they are young or old, male or female, ladies carrying designer handbags, men with expensive cameras or elderly women, they push and shove with total disregard for another human being. I have been to cities around the world - big ones such as London, Paris, New York, Rome and small ones such as Bangkok, Ho Chih Minh City and Kuala Lumpur. I have never been pushed and shoved so many times every day. In fact, the only time I was being shoved was an atemptted pickpocket in Taipei.
China may have the impressive hardware and supercharged economic growth but these people are totally uncouth with no proper upbringing, as we Chinese say. The world is out to impress China with their pavillions but what impressions do these people give in return?
My original plan is to focus on the Expo for this visit and come again to explore the city at another time. Due to the appalling, disgusting and shameful behaviour, I have sadly changed my mind and will not come back again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-12 22:44:42 |Display all floors
Good that you are an overseas Chinese.If one of us "white" expats would have said something like this we would be called "Chinabashers" again. Seems the "civilized behaviour" campaigns before and during the olympics didn`t work^^ You just can`t rewind more than 60 years of "proletarization" in a glimpse^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-13 00:00:48 |Display all floors

Ehhhhh?

Originally posted by wanderer123 at 2010-5-12 22:39
I came to Shanghai for a 7-day visit to the expo. As an oversea Chinese, I am very proud that China is now an economic superpower and I found the expo, especially the Chinese pavillions such as the ...

And from the bad behaviour of some Chinese in Shanghai you extrapolate it applies to all of China? So what bad behaviour was reported during the Beijing Olympics? Not much that I can remember. So how about assessing China based on the good behaviour of Beijingers...? Does that apply? Or does it not? Or that has never occured to you....?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-13 00:10:39 |Display all floors

Ohhh, but it is China-bashing....!

Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-5-12 22:44
Good that you are an overseas Chinese.If one of us "white" expats would have said something like this we would be called "Chinabashers" again. Seems the "civilized behaviou ...

Coz he extrapolates the behaviour of Shanghai people as to that of all of China, a typical "white" expat unthinking response to all things Chinese. If he stayed in China longer he would soon discover that Shanghai in general think that it is special, and above the rest of China.

That's why so many "white" expats go there. It satisifies their ego coz they also see themselves as being 'above' all other Chinese....

I would suggest that he return and learn some more. Until he does his so-called pride is false...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-13 00:15:31 |Display all floors
I'd love to see ganzhuolin go to the Expo and report back.
That would be instructive.

Of course that would mean actually going offline and experiencing it first hand.
I'll be filing my take on it before it ends...
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-13 00:17:58 |Display all floors
"And from the bad behaviour of some Chinese in Shanghai you extrapolate it applies to all of China? . . . "

Excuse me. Where did you get the idea that I extrapolate it to all China?
Why bring up Beijing Olympics to cover up the disgusting behaviour?
Do you deny that all the pushing, shoving, spitting and queue jumping do not exist?
Face the facts. They speak for themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-13 00:18:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2010-5-13 00:00

And from the bad behaviour of some Chinese in Shanghai you extrapolate it applies to all of China? So what bad behaviour was reported during the Beijing Olympics? Not much that I can remember.  ...

Don't be poppin' a gasket, it's just one Chinese comment on the festivities.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.