Views: 6681|Replies: 9

you can say,where is the john? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-5-7 15:15:57 |Display all floors
where is the john?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-12 05:38:55 |Display all floors
I believe 'the john' is American slang for a male public toilet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-20 04:08:58 |Display all floors

history of portable john...

way back in 1967, the 2 brothers Donald & Dennis Bandauski in chicago started this whole business of renting out portable toilets. and of course you can say where's porta-jane as well  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-30 22:33:19 |Display all floors
most of people do not understsand that

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 15:57:23 |Display all floors
No one knows why it's called The John sometimes but it certainly is, there are many theories but none of them "hold water" (have proof or are able to stand up to scrutiny) . And you can call them Porta-Jane but few do and many wont understand. John is the more commonly accepted term.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-27 03:54:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by EthanYiSen at 23-6-2010 07:57
No one knows why it's called The John sometimes but it certainly is, there are many theories but none of them "hold water" (have proof or are able to stand up to scrutiny) . And you can c ...

Just to reiterate - it is American slang for the male toilet, and the word is mainly used by American males speaking to other American males.  I for one would never use this word - it is a word used by common males and is not proper English.  It certainly isn't used in England - or for that matter anywhere in the UK.  If you ever visit America - my advice would be not to use this word.  It is more polite to say 'gents' or 'bathroom' or 'restroom'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-29 11:34:28 |Display all floors
Don't say gents in the USA though. I think that's more British. Bathroom, Restroom, Washroom.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.