Author: timbatu

US Oil Catastrophy [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-5-4 12:58:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by timbatu at 2010-5-3 06:40 AM
Neither the donkey nor the elephant wants to talk about it. They use chemical to hide the oil under the water. Experts say a huge cloud of oil the size10% of the moon has been created under the Ame ...

this is definitely something real, comparing to the global warming nonsense.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-4 13:01:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-5-3 07:31 AM

He must be purposefully lying.  Media blackout my ass....yeah, just like the wikileaks video that is and has been available to anyone in the US to watch and discuss.

i know the chinese news stations broke the news before i heard from america, when the spill reached the size of florida.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 08:58:07 |Display all floors
The current US news sound like those from North Korea. Joe Ching, shall we laugh or cry?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 12:19:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by timbatu at 2010-5-4 04:58 PM
The current US news sound like those from North Korea. Joe Ching, shall we laugh or cry?

the north korea gives it to us straight;  america crooked if not outright propaganda.

anyway, here is something i checked with my friend who worked on rigs:

The Deepwater Horizon semi-submesible oil drilling rig is owned by Transocean(the largest oil drilling company in the world) contracted by BP.

(you do a search on Deepwater Horizon in the internet you will fiund plenty of pages on this the information which you are looking for)

1. can u confirm that the south korean was contracted to build the rig?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon

Designed originally for R&B Falcon, Deepwater Horizon was built by Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, South Korea.

I don't know how about the design by R&B Falcon. The oil drilling rig SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE build in Singapore are mostly designed by Friedman & Golman.

2. what does a leak of 5000 barrels a day amount to?

I have no idea how bad it is. It depends how fast they cap the well (stop the flow).

3. do accident or just in normal operation have leaks?
Normally accident are cause by human error, overlooking safety measures or equipment failure. This one looks like equipment failure because if they are build in South Korea and some critical parts  use Korea manufactured materials, instead of materials manufactured in Europe which have very high quality standards.

BOP is a very critical equipment in oil drilling rig.

4. why dont some people with sucking/filtering system to load all the leaked oil into tankers.

There are in place very strong safety valves called Blow Out Preventer (BOP) which automatically distributed the superhigh pressure of fluid (oil, gas, mud and water) coming out from the oil well under drilling operation very deep beneath the seabed.

See below link for detail description of BOP.

http://www.devileye.net/catalog/nail_driver/blow_preventer.html

http://www.c-a-m.com/content/products/product_detail.cfm?pid=2797

5. what's the impact on the oil business?

Not much impact on oil business as this is a new oil well under drilling operation and not yet put on production. It won't affect other oil platform still producing oil.

The major impact is the environment damage caused by the oil spill.

If you have any queries please shoot and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-9 03:16:33 |Display all floors

Reply #12 Desaview's post

Good point "out of disaster comes fortune" but the disaster in Alaska's EXXON Valdez oil spill 1989 is because it was EXXON that experience's misfortune and now BP has been buying more and more into the US oil economy.  So with a "new" American regime and the BP corporation carrying the clean up who can really say what we should expect.  I think the US should ask for foreign "aid" and get some real experience to work on saving the price of oil(which has just spiked) and the environment.  First I would like to say that the bank bailout was still coming from a lessez faire regime and this opinion of government dealings is exposed by disaster.  Such as the oil spill where the government only handles claims and the corporate execs handle the "job" but this is a rather large disaster and not one that BP may be prepared to complete.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-9 12:32:49 |Display all floors

BP forced to back off plan to use steel dome

Global General
BP forced to back off plan to use steel dome
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2010-05-09 10:08

Oil is seen on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico as BP tries to stop oil leaking from the Deepwater Horizon wellhead in the Gulf of Mexico 55 miles (89 km) south of Port Fourchon, Louisiana May 8, 2010. [Agencies]

HOUSTON - British energy giant BP was forced Saturday to back off a plan to contain oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico with a metal box when icelike crystals encrusted the structure.

Crews have to move the four-story steel dome, which was considered the best short-term hope of containing oil leak from the undersea wellhead, to the side and are trying to find other solutions, BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles said Saturday.

Related readings:
Gulf spill will 'forever' change drilling-BP exec
BP works feverishly for Gulf oil leak solution
BP chief: failed equipment caused explosion, spill
BP looks to a cleaner, greener energy future

The 100-ton containment box left Port Fourchon, Louisiana, Wednesday on a barge for the oil-well some 52 km off Venice, Louisiana. The box is expected to be placed over the leaking well and collect oil which would be sucked up to a drill ship on the surface.

However, the crystal buildup inside the dome made it too buoyant and clogged it up, said Shuttles. Workers who had carefully lowered the box over the leak nearly a mile below the surface had to lift it and move it to the side. Crews are trying to unplug the box while looking for other solutions.

"I wouldn't say it's failed yet. What I would say is what we attempted to do last night didn't work because these hydrates plugged up the top of the dome," Suttles said. "What we're currently doing, and I suspect it will probably take the next 48 hours or so, is saying, 'Is there a way to overcome this problem?"

As BP continues its oil-containing efforts, oil keeps gushing unchecked into the Gulf of Mexico in what could be the worst US oil spill.

On Saturday, tar balls that are believed to be from the oil spill began washing ashore on Dauphin Island, Alabama, Coast Guard chief warrant officer Adam Wine said.

About a half dozen tar balls, which officials thought came from the spill, had been collected by Saturday afternoon at Dauphin Island, according to Wine.

Last week, a sheen of oil began arriving on land. Though crews have been laying booms, spraying chemical dispersants and setting fire to the slick to try to keep oil from hitting shore, brick-colored oil ribbons are seen gradually approaching Louisiana's shoreline.

About 1.6 million gallons of oil have spilled since the April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig, which killed 11 workers. The rig, owned by Swiss-based Transocean and leased by BP, sank April 22, after burning for roughly 36 hours.

The Coast Guard and BP said Saturday about 2.1 million gallons of an oil-water mix had been collected. More than 160 miles of oil-containment boom has been put out and crews have used nearly 275,000 gallons of chemicals to break up the oil on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Previous Page 1 2 3 Next Page     Previous Page 1 2 3 Next Page  
Copyright By chinadaily.com.cn. All rights reserved

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-9 21:04:39 |Display all floors
Oil tar has tainted the white sand beaches of Alabama. Images are blacked out.

The huge volum of crude oil has devastated the deep sea bed destroying the eco-system of the American gulf. We shall see massive sea-life change and never-seen symptom soon.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.