Views: 13867|Replies: 16

How to aviod to write chinglish? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-23 19:03:45 |Display all floors
I always can not get rid of stupid grammar mistakes, which make me feel so embarrasing and annoying. I have been learning English for so long, but right now, it is still so hard for me to communicate effectively with my friends in fluent written English. The more anxious I am, the less I can express my meaning clearly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-27 10:09:31 |Display all floors
Chinglish, so long as it can put across the meaning, is good, and lovely, no need to avoid it.

Whatever we do, let's do it the Chinese way, to manifest our Chinese characteristics

Just give those who chat with you in English some color to see see what idiomatic Chinglish is like.
The bluest of all souls

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-27 23:17:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chienl at 2010-4-27 10:09
Chinglish, so long as it can put across the meaning, is good, and lovely, no need to avoid it.

Whatever we do, let's do it the Chinese way, to manifest our Chinese characteristics

Just give ...

It is not good and lovely. If you want to learn a foreign language you have to put all effort into learning it. It is just not right to think "as long as the other one gets the meaning I don`t have to improve my speaking ability". Do it the Chinese way? I saw many books in China using Chinese characters to express how an English word is spoken and I can tell you...the pronounciation is horrible.

I speak German,English,Chinese fluent.My French is, due to not using it for a long time, a bit rusty but if I use some time to review it will be fluent again. During learning foreign languages i always tried my best to speak it like the natives....I would never be satisfied with "oh,they understand what I mean, so it`s fine"
If you want to manifest your Chinese characteristics you better don`t learn any foreign language and stick to Chinese only. You wanna learn a foreign language then learn it properly!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-29 10:34:37 |Display all floors
I have met a lot of people saying my English sounds a little bit awkward. Their comments heavily dented my confidence. But it is very hard to change it because I have been living in China and English is my second language. Even if I could fly to some native English-spaking countries such as U.K. or Singapore, it would still take time for me to change those so-called inaccurate ways of expression gradually. The problem is I have put all my efforts on language learning! I listen to English radio programs whenever I have spare time. However, improving written English is a rather difficult thing, because it is not easy to find pen pals.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-30 16:48:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-4-27 23:17

It is not good and lovely. If you want to learn a foreign language you have to put all effort into learning it. It is just not right to think "as long as the other one gets the meaning I ...

Don't take my words so seriously. I say it for fun. I agree with you. To learn any language well indeed requires devotion and interest and it is a course that has no end. :)
The bluest of all souls

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-1 09:53:10 |Display all floors
As long as your expression can be understood easily, Chinese English is not a problem. For instance, a lot of Americans are using double negative.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-1 13:16:58 |Display all floors

Thanks! Humble

As you said, compared with students in other countries such as India and Singapore, It is more difficult for students in China to learn English partly because most people in this country communicate with each other only in Chinese. Despite the Internet has connected the world closer than ever before and even people living in remote provinces in this country are able to watch hollywood blockbusters or read English news online, overally speaking, however, Chinese students still have less chances to use English. So it is not surprised that some of them, like me, are writing or speaking so-called Chinglish.:-) But gradually, the situation will be improved.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.