Author: wetac0s

Chinese: Different ethnicites united into One [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-4 21:33:35 |Display all floors

Alex2010

I am not trying to prove you wrong.

It is just a word after all.

Please give your definition of 'Oriental'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-4 22:00:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-5-4 21:33
I am not trying to prove you wrong.

It is just a word after all.

Please give your definition of 'Oriental'.

It`s an oldfashioned term that used to refer to the people,regions "East" of Europe. Sure you can still find it today as in Oriental Studies. But is it still used today? For me for example an oriental would be a person from the middle east^^
I really don`t know what agenda wetac0s has suddenly refering to Chinese and Japanese as orientals while in all other posts she spoke of herself and others as Asians, not orientals. Never heard of Oriental Americans so far....

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-4 22:12:46 |Display all floors

Alex2010

Yes, it is an old term and is defined as the region containing the Orient, which is now South-East Asia.

Those areas that can be considered to have Oriental features in culture.

Orient is derived from Latin meaning (I believe) east or rising (as in the Sun).

Originally it referred to the middle-east but as the world became more known it shifted further east to mean China, Korea and Japan.

The land of the rising Sun Japan referred to the eastern most part.

Therefore, orient actually means, the far-east.

An oriental is someone who comes from South-East Asia and can therefore use either term.

I can be English or I can be a Brit, depends on the pragmatics I wish to convey.

As regards the term it can be used but it would now sound quite pretentious.

Ex: I have an Oriental friend.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 03:55:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-5-4 22:00

It`s an oldfashioned term that used to refer to the people,regions "East" of Europe. Sure you can still find it today as in Oriental Studies. But is it still used today? For me for  ...

Read the previous posts.  I was correcting Seneca's abuse of facts.  He stated that "Asians" were being thrown out of Uganda - and he tried to make it seem as though it meant east asians.  When in reality, the "Asians" being thrown out were S. Asians like Indians and Pakistani's - not Chinese or Japanese.  

In europe and Australia, they call indians, pakastani's, and arabs "Asians", while they refer to chinese, japanese, korean, etc...as "orientals".  I'm not going to get into "political correctness", but different places have different names for races.  In America I am "asian".  In europe and australia, I am "oriental".  

When I went to england and called myself "asian" all the local people were stunned, but then I realized that "Asian" refers to indians, pakistani's, and middle-easterners.  Then they corrected me and told me I was "oriental".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 18:58:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-5-4 22:47
Well, I am shocked.
You claim that the opium trade was a legal moral business ...

Yeah, please point out the bit where I said that.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 19:19:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-5-5 05:55
In europe and Australia, they call indians, pakastani's, and arabs "Asians", while they refer to chinese, japanese, korean, etc...as "orientals".  I'm not going to get into "political correctness", but different places have different names for races.  In America I am "asian".  In europe and australia, I am "oriental".  ...

Wrong.
We know that the British refer to Indians and Pakistanis as Asians, but in Australia the expression "Asians" is generally used to refer to people from China, South East Asia, Korea and Japan.
We do not use the term "orientals" ordinarily.
Indians and Pakistanis are mostly referred to as Indians and Pakistanis.
I don't know of anyone who refers to Arabs as "Asians".
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-5 19:27:26 |Display all floors

emu

QUOTE:  Ah yes, the economic capital of China. It would be nothing if it weren't for European "colonialism" in China.

You never said it in words.

But the implication I took is that this successful place owed its prosperity and status to the Europeans.

These were people such as the Sassoon family.

A well known drug cartel.

Shanghai's initial prosperity was mainly from the opium trade.

Your claim for me personally paints a picture of prosperity through normal business.

But the drug trade was far from legal and moral, and imports to China did not end until 1910 (or abouts).

Hence my statement where I believe that you saw the rise of Shanghai via Europeans as conducting business by legal and moral means.  But without taking into account the core business which was actually the truth of the success of Shanghai.

Historical facts show that the Europeans basically destroyed China's ability to not only police itself but also to fund any actions which would keep help its sovereignty intact. Ironically, it was General Gordon who helped put down the Taiping Rebellion led by the little brother of Jesus, 1850 - 1864, but I am sure that was just to keep the money flowing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.