Views: 9241|Replies: 41

Professor with two children is sacked [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-12 11:52:53 |Display all floors
he deserved the sack. his second child may not affect his life but will affect the country. one more child put more burdens to this country which is already suffered from the large population. he should be punished although he may learn lessons from this and may have the third child, but his punishment can warn others who want to have more children despite the crucial reality of china.

south china morning post

A prominent legal scholar and strong critic of the mainland's family planning policies has been fired from his university for breaking the controversial one-child policy.

Yang Zhizhu was formally dismissed on Friday from his post as assistant professor at China Youth University for Political Sciences in Beijing. His wife gave birth to their second child in December.

Yang, who is looking for work in Wuhan , Hubei , said he was resigned to losing his job. "There really isn't anything I can do about the situation," he said.

A campaign against Beijing's birth-control policy is gaining momentum. Yang is the highest- profile person to be punished so far.

He said he had been told to expect to be fired when he was given an oral warning on March 26.

The letter said the university was terminating his position with immediate effect. It was also halting payments of his single-child family bonus and demanding that he return all the bonuses he had received.

Yang has long been an outspoken critic of the mainland's family planning policies, and has written extensively on the subject in his blog and in opinion pieces in the media.

He described the university's decision to terminate his contract as "severe" and said he believed it did not have a sound legal basis.

"Looking closely at the letter, one can tell there is no clear basis for the school disciplining me like this," he said. "That is the reason they don't say which law, which regulation or which legal document they are basing the disciplinary proceedings on."

Yang said family planning laws entitled a work unit to discipline employees who had children without permission, but there were no guidelines for what form that punishment should take.

He said his actions had also not been in breach of teaching regulations or broken the terms of his employment contract. "My having a [second] child did not take up any of my working hours, nor does it have any impact on the content of my lectures," he said.

However, Yang said he had no plans to take the issue to court because he felt the university was acting "against its own wishes". "My guess is that the university did not want to handle my problem like this. My actions have caused a lot of hassles for the university, heads of the law department, and family planning workers and staff at the Yiqingyuan community residents' committee, and for that I am deeply sorry. But I don't regret anything."

A rights organisation warned that mainland leaders appeared to be introducing a zero-tolerance policy towards activists.

"Police are increasing their efforts to harass and intimidate human rights activists," Renee Xia, international director of Chinese Human Rights Defenders, said.

The press release was issued after police in Beijing detained activist Gu Chuan for seven hours on Friday. A dozen officers searched Gu's home for two hours.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:40:27 |Display all floors

well, if the good professor needs a job

let's hope he can migrate
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:45:09 |Display all floors

It's pretty clear isn't it?

China will have an ageing population much as the West does

It needs a population base to support the elderly, or come up with numerous inventions to import wealth to counter the effect of a declining birth rate

Migration works for some countries

Take the Philippines for example. The remittances of the balikbayan account for a very significant chunk of GDP and actually helped countermand the effect of the GFC in the RP.

We'll wait to see what the Politburo does.
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:46:47 |Display all floors

oooo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:51:07 |Display all floors
Well, this wouldn`t have happened if he knew the right people. I once met a Chinese girl who made her PhD in Germany. During small talk she mentioned she has 2 brothers and a sister. I asked what about the one child policy (her family is from a city,not countryside) and she said:"Oh,my mum is member of the family planning comitee of my hometown".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:55:18 |Display all floors
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-12 19:58:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-4-12 05:21 PM
Well, this wouldn`t have happened if he knew the right people. I once met a Chinese girl who made her PhD in Germany. During small talk she mentioned she has 2 brothers and a sister. I asked what a ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.