Views: 15648|Replies: 55

Has China changed in recent years? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-8 10:16:54 |Display all floors
chinese are saying, we're changed, look at our economy. while foreigners said, china isn't changed, look at the politics.

for those who have casual interest in china, it's a difficult option. how much it has changed or how little? the Party welcomed capitalists but the giant portrait of Chairman Mao is still hanging on the Tiananmen Square. the country is involved into global issues but still has its own ecomonical and political system which are hard to be affected by the outside world.

most chinese may voice their opposition to certain abuses and inequity and pay more attention to the financial benefits. so if westerners want to see a politically changed china, they may need to wait for decades or even centuries.

whether to focus on how much China has changed or how much it has stayed the same, the trick may be simply to refuse to choose.
Multiple choicevote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
45.00% (9)
5.00% (1)
50.00% (10)
0.00% (0)
Your current user group has no poll permission
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-4-8 10:53:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-4-8 11:16

1. chinese are saying, we're changed, look at our economy. while foreigners said, china isn't changed, look at the politics.
Copy code

I don't like generalization. Foreigners said....... It's not true that all foreigners say that China has not changed politically. Those who have no 'agenda' will say that China has changed. Don't forget that most foreigners have no idea about China in the 60s and 70s, hence, they've no way to compare.

Economically China has not only changed, it has revolutionized its economy, something nobody did expect when China started to open-up in the 80s.

1. for those who have casual interest in china, it's a difficult option. how much it has changed or how little? the Party welcomed capitalists but the giant portrait of Chairman Mao is still hanging on the Tiananmen Square. the country is involved into global issues but still has its own ecomonical and political system which are hard to be affected by the outside world.
Copy code

The portrait of Mao will remain. Whether foreigners like it or not, he was the founding father of modern China. I believe that most Chinese are well aware about the excesses of the 60s/70s but I've heard from many people that they still honor him because he has given back dignity to the country, something that was missing for more than one hundred years. China's present system is unique and it is cause of permanent headache from Washington to Berlin and in between because nobody can predict the future impact of China on the world's economy as well as political future.

1. so if westerners want to see a politically changed china, they may need to wait for decades or even centuries.
Copy code

Lol, yes very likely.

1. whether to focus on how much China has changed or how much it has stayed the same, the trick may be simply to refuse to choose.  
Copy code

The trick is where one stands and what 'agenda' one has. From the western media as well as from this board one can have the impression that for some people only so called democracy counts as an achievement because they've seen in Russia how it caused chaos and poverty for the masses. Something they strive to "achieve" for China as well.

Sorry for my ranting. This is a very good thread. I hope it has some interesting responses and not only politically motivated statements.
Unfortunately I'm out from this afternoon for some time to come. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 11:08:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-4-8 10:16
chinese are saying, we're changed, look at our economy. while foreigners said, china isn't changed, look at the politics.

for those who have casual interest in china, it's a difficult option. h ...

Although , we can obviously see that  the Chinese economy is changing by the growing GDP, we don't feel proud . It's specious to us civilians . A large number of people in china is still living under a big pressure(lack of money) . As to the politics , we should never image it would make any change .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 11:42:59 |Display all floors
i think china's policy system may change in the future because of the economic development. but i doubt whether i can see the day when i'm alive.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 11:48:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-4-8 11:42
i think china's policy system may change in the future because of the economic development. but i doubt whether i can see the day when i'm alive.

hehe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 14:32:57 |Display all floors
Everything is changing under the sun in many directions--- Forward 2 steps or backward 3 steps....

Some are not satisfied because the change does not met their desire.  After they have changed their demand for more and the reality can't meet, they'll complain more.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 14:41:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.