Views: 8555|Replies: 78

Is Democracy Holding India Back? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-7 17:09:34 |Display all floors
I was recently looking into politics in India, having read the book “White Tiger”. I was interested to see whether India benefits from having democracy, from the point of view of comparing the Indian system with the Chinese system.

What I sensed was that India’s politics, religions, ethnicities and even classes, present the most amazing myriad of problems. What was also interesting, is that it was stated that in the union which is India, no territory can leave that union and political, regions are based on language rather than ethnicity, which can create even more problems.

Curiously, of the many reported riots and deaths, none of these make more than a splash in the international news as other than being just a local problem. There are no calls from the international community for less violence from the police or autonomy or independence for that region, even though many parts of India see themselves as unique ethnicities with a unique language and culture.

My questions would therefore be:

1)        Because India is democratic:

Do the international community see inner turmoil and deaths from riots and police brutality as a normal standard?

2)        Due to India being a populous developing country the same as China.

Would the Indian political system work better as a one party state with regard to law and order, social stability  and economy. Or is it fine as it is?

I know we have some Indian friends as forum members and I wonder if you would make a comment.

If I have misunderstood the situation in India, then please forgive me if I have been naïve.
I can see that some of the situation is multi-faceted.

If this topic has been addressed before then please point me to that thread.

I did read thoroughly the thread on trains, very informative.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-7 18:39:15 |Display all floors
Holding it back from what ?  They've had good economic growth and that is set to continue.

You could argue that democracy holds back ANY Country if you believe that Authoritarian government is better.

I dont believe it is better in the long-term but in any case, the PEOPLE should elect their choice not be ruled and dictated to by a clique.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-7 18:47:04 |Display all floors

Democracy

Democracy,like Freedom of Speech,is an illusion.The Anglo Zionist clique at the heart of the New World
Order makes the major decisions and the investments everywhere on this planet. If  "Great" Britain is
Airstrip One,then India is Sweatshop Two.That is it's destiny,the role assigned to it by the masters and
mistresses of the planet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-7 18:52:37 |Display all floors
Is this the "anti-democratic fascist thread"  ?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-7 19:18:40 |Display all floors

unhealthysms

A question for a question.

Do you do the same for every question?

Aren't you the guy that claims no one listens to you?

Is it a wonder as you only promote speculation and personal opinion.

Has this board become so stagnant that a simple question cannot be asked.

Before there is even a chance for an exchange of ideas.

It is called, "anti-democratic fascist".

I did lay out the reasoning for the question in advance.

This is a forum.

You should take a clue from that.

Before trouncing because of your own bigoted ideas.

I was hoping that someone from that part of the world would express an opinion.

Aren't you in the least bit interested in that idea?

[ Last edited by expatter at 2010-3-7 07:29 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-7 19:23:22 |Display all floors

Karma2U

Yes, I was just wondering, as stated in the opening, whether democracy is a benefit in such a mixed environment.

Those of language, ethnicity, caste, religions etc.,......

Or does it become even more complex and burdensome than in countries with a more homogeneous majority.

I suppose another question would be whether corruption becomes more widespread due to this situation.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-7 19:28:30 |Display all floors

Karma2U

Something I forgot to mention which I believe is problematic for the Indian economy and that is main transportation routes.

Again, forgive my lack of practical knowledge, if I am wrong.

As  understand it, China has been very successful over the last 30 years in implementing transportation routes.

Such as motorways and link roads.

Which has helped the long term economy.

Whilst, India is experiencing economic growth.

Has it done as well as China for the infrastructure that facilities economic growth?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.