Author: tianyuanedu

Decline of US and Britain = decline of English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-2-22 11:52:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2010-2-22 11:35
according to statistics, only about 10% of the world's population is truly functional in English!

What statistics? 8% of the world are native English speakers, of course they are functional.
1.7 billion people speak English functionally.  Its an official language in 53 countries even though the US and Australia do not have official languages.  If you claim that people can not use English functionally as a second language then what makes you think they would get any other language any better?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 11:55:12 |Display all floors

Reply #5 tianyuanedu's post

well, BRAZIL, MEXICO will be a good place to expand trade with China.

Asian Trade Route is top priority!
and British Club, French-Catholic Club, Spanish realm.....

and of course the biggest power of them all, the American Zone!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-23 13:55:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Exergy at 2010-2-22 11:52

What statistics? 8% of the world are native English speakers, of course they are functional.
1.7 billion people speak English functionally.  Its an official language in 53 countries even thoug ...

Just because a language is an official language in a country, it does not mean everyone in the country speaks it. In many African countries, for instance, the former colonial language is often the official language and is also common only among the elite classes. The rest are usually limited to a Creole form ofthe language.

And as for learning other languages, I'd guess that a Chinese learning Korean is likely to be more successful than one learning English. Or a Chinese living in Inner Mongolia learning Mongolian is likely to be more sucessful than one learning English, since he could actually use the language in his daily life.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-23 14:03:54 |Display all floors

Reply #10 tianyuanedu's post

pragmatic.....
a little thought of my own, and what does the language do to wire your mind? does the language help expand your contacts, does it help to produce solutions.....

a good sign!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-23 14:04:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2010-2-23 13:55

Just because a language is an official language in a country, it does not mean everyone in the country speaks it. In many African countries, for instance, the former colonial language is often  ...

while Chinese in the Korean autonomous region might be able to learn Korean easier, and Mongolian in inner Mongolia it still might not be easy.  My friends in Xinjiang can not speak 10 words of Uygur.  They do not interact with the uygurs or they expect them to speak mandarin.  If they cannot speak 10 words, let have lived there their whole lives I dont expect they would have much luck at actually learning the language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-23 14:31:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-2-23 14:03
pragmatic.....
a little thought of my own, and what does the language do to wire your mind? does the language help expand your contacts, does it help to produce solutions.....

a good sign!

Knowing a second language, any second language, broadens one's horizons. Even if it doesn't make one money, it can make one friends. To take an example, I remember walking down the street one day, and a Muslim was selling kebabs. I said Al-Salam'u'alaikum! and he, with both hands up in the air, a big smile on his face, and holding kebabs in each hand, suddenly exclaimed in surprise and joy 'wa 'alaikum'ul-salam! I was afraide he was about to hug me. That simple phrase from a stranger had obviously made his day.

Did I make any money from this exchange? Did he even give me a kebab? No is the answer in both cases. But it doesn't matter. It was a lasting memory.

I've made money in some languages that I know well, and have made friends in every language that I know well. However, my friendships have proven more enriching than any wealth I could have made.

We shouldn't be learning languages for money. If we do that, we lose our humanity, what makes us human. We become mere robots. We should learn languages because we want to learn from other peoples and make friends with them. That ought to be our true motivation. Besides, I'm sure even traditional Chinese culture would agree with this, whether Confucianist, Buddhist or other.  You don't learn another language to 'know thine enemy' or to make a quick buck. Besides, there are plenty of more effective ways of making money than learning languages. Education should not be about dollars, but spiritual development, and language education should be an extension of that ad not be taught like a trade or profession, but as a part of culture, friendship, love and spirituality.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-23 14:40:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Exergy at 2010-2-23 14:04

while Chinese in the Korean autonomous region might be able to learn Korean easier, and Mongolian in inner Mongolia it still might not be easy.  My friends in Xinjiang can not speak 1 ...

So why would English be any easier for them? Certainly they stand a higher chance of success in Uygur than English. Consider too that their time is divided between English and Uyghur. They learn English in school and then hear Uyghur on the streets. Had they been learning Uyghur in school and hearing it on the streets, then maybe they'd have more success than with English. Consider too that had they learnt some Uyghur in school, they might have more interest in interacting with Uyghurs so as to practice their uyghur and, lo and behold, it couldlead to interethnic friendships. Multiply these friendships by thousands of pupils, and suddenly you also have improved inter-ethnic relations in the region at no extra cost to the government. And don't you think the Uyghurs would feel happy to see their Han counterparts trying to learn their language rather than looking down their noses at them as if in contempt expecting theUyghurs to learn Han Chinese while treating the Uyghur language as if with contempt, as if it is below their great status, on their own land? I'd visited Xinjiang, and from what I could see, the Uyghurs made great efforts to learn Chinese, while the local Han spent their time trying to learn English. Don't you find this a little offensive and even insulting to the local Uyghurs that the Han in Xinjiang of al places must learn English and have not the option to opt for Uyghur instead if they wish? And then we wonder why so much conflict?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.