Views: 19732|Replies: 53

Decline of US and Britain = decline of English? [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-2-22 10:25:37 |Display all floors
As the US and British economies will likely continue to experience little to no growth for the next decade, will China's knowledge of languages other than English grow in importance as China seeks out new markets?

In Hungary, for example, any school or organization can present a course plan for any language to the Ministry of Education to be approved based on its pedagogical quality. Once the course plan is approved, each school is free to offer it to its pupils, and each pupil is free to request to be tested in that language to fulfill his second-language requirements for high school graduation.Hungary is possibly the most progressive country in the world as far as second-language education policy goes, and has already added 20 languages as diverse as Latin and Esperanto to the list of optional languages.

Some countries, though not as grassroots as Hungary in this respect, still allow a wide range of language options from which schools can choose. France, for example, presents a list of over 170 languages from which schools can choose; Italy allows for five; Poland, four.

As the relative economic importance of the US and England decline in the world and other world markets around the world rise in prominence, would it be wise for China to possibly adopt a policy similar to Hungary's, or at least some other policy giving its pupils language options other than English so as to expand China's access to world markets beyond the English-speaking world alone?
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
11.11% (2)
55.56% (10)
33.33% (6)
0.00% (0)
Your current user group has no poll permission
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-2-22 11:09:53 |Display all floors
The US economy is unlikely to decline, it is projected to grow over the next decade around 2% per year.  Still even if it were to be flat, it is still a very large flat.
Global Trade is increasing, and the language of international trade is English.  Globalization is and has been about English, thus to continue stressing and learning it is important.
Further India, and to a lessor extent the Philippines are still growing quickly and use English as their language of administration.

What China needs to do is improve second foreign language skills.  Being able to speak your local language and one foreign language is so American!  Students should be required to learn a third language or second foreign language.

Chinese need to be more trilingual.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-2-22 11:14:07 |Display all floors

Reply #1 tianyuanedu's post

pretty unlikely!

The British and American empires are powerful, very adapt at technology and strategy!
but it's pretty benign, especially the English....
and we should find ways to work with their systems....

cheerios!


Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-2-22 11:35:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Exergy at 2010-2-22 11:09
The US economy is unlikely to decline, it is projected to grow over the next decade around 2% per year.  Still even if it were to be flat, it is still a very large flat.
Global Trade is increasing, and the language of international trade is English.  Globalization is and has been about English, thus to continue stressing and learning it is important.
Further India, and to a lessor extent the Philippines are still growing quickly and use English as their language of administration.

What China needs to do is improve second foreign language skills.  Being able to speak your local language and one foreign language is so American!  Students should be required to learn a third language or second foreign language.

Chinese need to be more trilingual..


On an global scale, 2% is not that much. Of course English will remain important for the foreseeable future, but other languages will rise too, making it important for the Chinese to learn English as well as other languages. Trying to make all Chinese trilingual when the majority of them fail to learn their second language makes it hard to believe many would succeed in learning their third too. Compulsory trilingualism  might be a fine goal for some elite private school, but certainly not for a public school. They just wouldn't have the resources for this. Besides, if the whole world knew English (according to statistics, only about 10% of the world's population is truly functional in English!), then the Chinese wouldn't need to learn other languages beside English. Clearly if the rest of the world is failing to learn English, what makes you think China would be any different?

I think a more efficient and realistic objective would be bilingualism in a second language of the pupil's choice. That way enough pupils could learn English to do business with the English-speaking world while others could learn other languages for other countries. Besides, I remember meeting one Chinese French teacher who though fluent in French and once fluent in English, told me she'd lost her English after many years simply because in the French department she worked in, she simply never used English. So it's not only a matter of learning three languages, but then maintaining them too.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-2-22 11:36:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-2-22 11:14
Reply #1 tianyuanedu's post

pretty unlikely!

The British and American empires are powerful, very adapt at technology and strategy!
but it's pretty benign, especially the English....
and we should find ways to work with their systems....

cheerios!


Green DRagon
Game Master


So expanding China's access to other world markets shouldn't be a goal?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-2-22 11:37:59 |Display all floors

Reply #4 tianyuanedu's post

yes Putonghua, the provincial dialect, and either English, French, Russian, or Spanish, Portugese maybe German-Japanese.....

wow!


Big headache!
Maybe the talented will be more able to absorb so much...


Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-2-22 11:51:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-2-22 11:37
Reply #4 tianyuanedu's post

yes Putonghua, the provincial dialect, and either English, French, Russian, or Spanish, Portugese maybe German-Japanese.....

wow!


Big headache!
Maybe the talented will be more able to absorb so much...


Green DRagon
Game Master


I'm not saying that every single pupil ought to be expected to learn every single language. What I meant, rather, was that each school could teach the second language of its choice. Some schools might teach English, others French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Japanese or whatever other language they wish to teach. Each pupil would only have to learn 2 languages, but the second language would be of the school's or pupil's choosing, and not necessarily English.

My guess is that most schools would choose English, but those schools that think another language would be more useful should certainly be free to choose that language instead if they wish, should they not?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.