Author: expatter

Freedom of Speech is an Oxymoron. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-2-22 16:03:32 |Display all floors
Propaganda is very effective and influences a lot of people thats because a great many people have little or no interest in politics so they believe what they're spoon fed.

Tough libel laws in the West restrict free speech but my impression is whereas you can freely criticise the state here but have to be very careful about what you say to or about individuals-e.g. calling them offensive names- in the east its the other way around.

In the 60's some of those old sitcoms we had here would now be branded racist and banned but slang words like fcuk are quite freely used on air now -back then you didn't here it.

Everything has to be PC now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 16:35:16 |Display all floors
Expatter, I can't quote without tripping the filters, so some points you raised are addressed thus;
1/ They were Tbtn refugees, escaping to Nepal. A well worn route and it's well known that Tbtns seek refuge in Npl.
2/ They were not soldiers or terror!sts.
3/ Sarcasm.
4/ Well with Chinese sn!pers shooting at unarmed and harmless Nuns, it certainly is a dangerous border.

Originally posted by expatter at 2010-2-22 00:29
All the news about this incident is unavailable in China, but there are ways to access material for research purposes. It would seem that everything released to the press was from the very worst foes of China, because coincidentally that is where the travellers were headed.  

Unavailable, eh. Very different to the public discourse over the Brazilian electrician, the Haneef affair in Australia, Waterboarding and detainee abuse in the USA.
The "very worse foes of China" were actually European mountaineers who were legitimate climbers with visas for the region, who were only there to climb the bloody mountain and film their exploits.
It was simply coincidence that the Chinese border guards chose to shoot the nun at the same time.

If the shooter was acting outside orders, then one wonders, considering the international outcry, why China has not publicised the punishment he received!
In fact, I seem to recall that the subsequent doco about the event mentioned that the brave shooters were congratulated for their murder!

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2010-2-22 06:43 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 16:46:50 |Display all floors
Refugees dressed as NUNS???
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 16:48:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-2-19 22:49
People often talk of freedom of speech in this forum and do so in an absolute manner.

In reality very few things in life are absolutes.

The sun rising in the east every day at a known time,  ...

only gweilos needs laws & jails to control thier evils race
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 18:27:04 |Display all floors

The Freedom to spy

The Freedom to spy is meant to curb the freedom of speech and free expression
People are mis(used) to spy on people - like in the former GDR

Chinese police admit enormous number of spies
A Chinese p olice chief has said he uses more than 12,000 spies to inform on a remote county of just 400,000 people, an admission that lays bare the enormous scale of China's surveillance network.
Liu Xingchen, the 56-year-old assistant to the head of Kailu County, a farming region in Inner Mongolia, said his vast network of informants meant he could be "very sensitive" to any signs of dissent and protest.

In an interview with Xinhua, the government-run news agency, Mr Liu described how he was able to "quickly and accurately discover all sorts of information that might destabilise society".

There is more to read.
I am just afraid, that the filter combined with the unbiased judgement of the mods might lead to another exemple of Cinese censorship

h ttp://w ww.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/7195592/Chinese-police-admit-enormous-number-of-spies.h tml

[ Last edited by unhealthysms at 2010-2-22 06:28 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-22 19:33:13 |Display all floors

Hi Emu,

I will post this in pieces due to the time of the evening.

3) No I wasn’t being sarcastic. I just wondered why the language used here was ‘not noted for’ rather than ‘were not’. This is the kind of language used in diplomacy where if the opposite turns out to be true later the speaker is covered.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-22 19:35:02 |Display all floors

2 Emu

Yes, as I stated unavailable. I did write a rationale at the end of my post that China should adopt a better stance towards its media PR.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.