Author: expatter

Freedom of Speech is an Oxymoron. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-2-20 13:14:25 |Display all floors
"Freedom of speech" doesn't change from place to place, no one but repressive authoritarian states (or those who are sympathetic to them or their ideology) ever insist that this is the case.

Go home.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-20 13:42:33 |Display all floors
Ahh! The racist!

Try telling a Mullah that Allah is a dog, in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan.

See how long you live.  

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-20 14:35:54 |Display all floors

seneca

Rudi made the statement that freedom of speech existed except where it could cause anger or violence.

We often see this in the west in terms of rioting and police control of demonstrations.

And especially in the third world democracies.

Sedition in a one party state can amount to conflict and violence instigated by the ideals proposed.

I would state that sedition here is the promotion of opposing opinions in order to change the system to something else.

It can therefore lead to unrest and violence.

The amount of sedition in China or from outside from migrated Chinese does not show a majority and that would then be out of tune with even democratic principles.

It is my belief that China cannot afford to have uneducated millions of people arguing aesthetics and turning this into a second civil war.

I have heard an awful lot from foreigners about the abusive Party, but I am never given this impression by all the Chinese people I have met in my 16 years contact with the Chinese people.

To say that only the leaders of China have the power and abuse it and not to mention that all world leaders do this is a tad one-sided I would have thought.

Are you sure that the sedition in China is against the leaders personally, or would you say it is against the idea of a one party state, as these two are different agendas?

Sure we hear about corruption in China, but the fact that we hear about it is a good thing.

Finally;

yes, nationalism. Do you see that as a bad thing?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-20 22:59:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-20 23:15:58 |Display all floors

Baiquen

Thanks for the post.

I am not trying to trash the idea of freedom of speech.

But rather to point out it is not an absolute.

These ideas including yours help to show that it depends on variables and what they are.

In some societies speaking your mind can be offensive to others and not in other places.

There can be no doubt that the Chinese nation spoke/voted for a communist government from 1921-1949.

That has been proven.

There is still great pride in freeing China from outside influences and internal usury.

In addition, modern China has much to feel proud about, even given the mistakes of the post 1949 era.

The year of the Tiger should be a good year for China and the last thing needed over the next 30-50 years is civil discontent.

Hopefully, after that time China will be strong enough to establish a middle way system which appeases its detractors.

I am sure we all look forward to that time.

Cheers.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-20 23:25:51 |Display all floors

Good ol' Expatter

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-20 23:29:56 |Display all floors

seneca

Thanks for the post.

McCaine you have done it again!

Oh dear! You stereotype me so hard.

Will I ever get used to it?

What do you see when you see the 'blinking eye', some sort of psychotic demon?

When I had the little chat with Rudi, it made me think about.

"What exactly is "Freedom of Speech", and I determined to question it deeper.

I had no idea you would accuse me of hounding Rudi because I am too stupid to do anything else.

For the record, I had no thought about pursuing Rudi around the forum.

I do not care a rat's arse about this type of behaviour and have no intention of ever doing this.

I am actually quite a busy person and the forum for me is just a distraction from other more important matters.

Rudi will not change, Rudi is Rudi.

Unlike other people in this forum I know trying to convert people is a waste of time.

And again not my intention.

Of course Rudi brings a little bit of his own spice and despite calls for him to go, these same people would miss him.

No, seneca, I am not stalking Rudi.

What is (Quote) 'Nationbalism', because I am sure I would not like it either.

It is not eating the people of a preferred nation is it.  

P.S I have found a very good, what I call balanced, article on T.ib, would you like me to P.M. the address, I am sure that you would be interested in reading the contents.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.