Author: expatter

Freedom of Speech is an Oxymoron. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-2-22 10:10:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by myfriend at 2010-2-22 10:02
The boss or supervisor of the news media decides how much "freedom" the little journalist can have.  All employees obey the capitalist 100% or else.

you are obviously talking about China.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-22 12:22:35 |Display all floors

eso.........................

Wow!

You managed to copy the post from the 'racist'.

#19, all on your own.

That is very impressive.

Take a little yellow star for your good work.

Well done.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-2-22 12:26:11 |Display all floors

unhealthysms

Actually, he is talking about the US which employed hundreds of CIA members in journalism in the US.

[h t tp :/ / w w w .carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.p h p]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 13:43:57 |Display all floors
I agree that there isn't complete freedom of speech anywhere. There are always limitations. Sedition is probably illegal in any country. People who think that they have complete freedom of speech in their country are not being honest with themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 14:12:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kyosan at 2010-2-22 13:43
I agree that there isn't complete freedom of speech anywhere. There are always limitations. Sedition is probably illegal in any country. People who think that they have complete freedom of speech i ...

there exists no absolutes in the world........

but the principle is to be able to speak one's opinion without being put in jail
(except the spread of hatred)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 14:55:59 |Display all floors
And what if it's my OPINION is that my government needs to be overthrown? Are saying that in a country with "freedom of speech" I'll be allowed to publicly advocate overthrowing the government if it's my OPINION that's what needs to be done? You have to realize that not only are there laws to protect people but there are also laws to protect the established order. That's true in any country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-22 15:34:51 |Display all floors
I agree that freedom of speech exists only where none can hear it.

In most countries this is accepted and a non-issue.

America tends to make it an issue by proclaiming it has free-speech, while at the same time accusing rivals and enemies of not having enough of it. This is a sort of propaganda attack designed to sow dissent and seduce opponent leaders to waste leadership resources countering what is essentially meaningless mudslinging.

America never uses this sort of tactic against it's allies. So for instance, while I read criticisms of the Govt in Chinese news papers almost every day, in the west we hear again and again that the Chinese are not allowed to criticize their Govt. Since 99.99% of my fellow Americans don't read Chinese newspapers, they believe the claim that Chinese newspapers are pure patriotic propaganda. At the same time, news sources in the west spin news 100% of the time against the rival or enemy of the hour so we rarely hear any counter point of view regarding North Korea or Iran for instance.

Another glaring example of our leaders total control of the media is that during the lead-up to the Iraq War, our leaders absolutely bombarded us with rationale and no peaceful options were given any air-time. The rest of the world received more balanced reporting. The effect is that the citizens of our country and the citizens of allied countries do not agree. That's because the news agencies of our allies do not have a specifically pro-US news slant which we have at home. Many citizens of countries allied to America now condemn us for being violent barbarians endlessly attacking a long list of defenseless countries since the end of WWII. At the same time, in America we're sure we're always right because, well, we heard it on the news.

During the first Iraq war things were even worse. We had the Kuwaiti Ambassador's daughter posing as an innocent victim of atrocities committed by Iraq. The truth came out later. She was reading a fictitious script penned by a Washington PR agency. He "eye-witness" testimony was incredibly compelling and a classic example of "manufactured consent" wherein pure and bold manipulation is used lead American citizens into believing we are the saviors of the universe while everyone else in the world rolls their eyes.

Afghanistan has a blatant puppet regime under our total control, but our press won't cover that. Instead, where there is some semblance of democracy in Iran our press makes an endless stream of accusations while ignoring the total lack of democracy in any place we have bases or sell weapons.

Why did our press re-write such recent history as our funding of Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan for the purpose of toppling the legitimate Govt there? Now our history books list a fictitious "Invasion Afghanistan" by the USSR when in fact they were invited. Afghanistan begged the Soviets to help against the CIA backed Islamic extremists which later named themselves The Taliban. But our news never tells that story.

Is freedom of speech something real? Or is it a propaganda attack against everyone not allied to America?

Is China a rival of America? Yes.
Is China charged with crimes against free-speech? Yes.

Is Germany a rival of America? No.
Does U.S. press tell the story of their prohibitions against free speech? No.

Are N.Korea and Iran enemies? Yes.
Is our press constantly attacking them? Yes.

Is Saudi Arabia our friend? Yes.
Does our press cover the Saudi issues of free-speech, women's rights, human rights, freedom of religion, or democracy in Saudi Arabia, or Uzbekistan, or the UAE, etc? No. No. No.

Propaganda is a weapon. If feeds false impressions to the citizens of the world, including our own citizens. Here is a very basic truism about all our propaganda. When you buy our weapons or host our military bases you can not be attacked by our press. So Taiwan gets glowing reports no matter how corrupt they are, and our press always forgets to mention that we are selling high-tech weapons to a non-state. The Saudis host our bases, The UAE buys our weapons, Uzbekistan and any other "stan" that hosts our bases all get ignored in our press even though they have the world's worst human rights records.

So... how can we claim we have free speech when all the major channels are under the total control of our keepers? In other countries there are no illusions about this. But in America we always like to claim we have free-speech. This claim is empty when our leaders own the media and have a lion's mouth 10,000 times are big as we mice.

Wherever you see a US made weapon or base, you can not find western press propaganda attacks. That's a basic truth. The western press and our military industrial complex are in the same business and have the same masters.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.