Author: expatter

Free Tibet. What about Hawaii? (Chant Two) [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-12-30 00:48:34 |Display all floors

The Korean War

On a separate note

Meanwhile war broke out in Korea in 1950 with the main western proponent being the US.  At first the N Koreans supported by Russia pushed the US right down to a tiny pocket in the south of Korea (Pusan) but were saved by destroying overstretched NK supply lines and then attacking with reinforcements and  landing a new invasion force on the west coast (Incheon) and thus forcing the N Koreans to retreat.  The US chased the N Koreans to within 15 miles of the Chinese border by Nov 1950 and then the Chinese volunteer Red Army joined the fight and pushed the US and allies back deep into S Korea. The fighting ended up in 1953 at the same place it had started some 3 years earlier.  

China was without a doubt considered the enemy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-30 07:10:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-12-30 02:48
China was without a doubt considered the enemy.

Yep, and the enemy of millions of North Koreans who suffer as a result of being locked away from the world in the hermit kingdom.

Gee, thanks China !
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-12-30 13:25:01 |Display all floors

emu

Sadly not even close.

You would need to refer to the Potsdam Conference (August 1945) to find the root cause.

And the subsequent Yalta Conference (February 1945) granting satellite buffer zones to the USSR.

The inability of the US and Russia to agree on an independent Korea led to a communist government in the North and an anti-communist government in the South.

While the US pulled out its troops Russia piled arms into N Korea and a civil war started on 25th June 1950.

The US actions were in violation of the UN charter as Russia argued that mainland China was not a signatory (Taiwan was).

Russia (as a permanent member) had abstained from the UN meetings and neither Korea were present at the motions in contravention of article 32.

UN action; legal scholars posited that deciding upon an "action" required the unanimous vote of the five permanent members

The Korean war was a civil war and the US and its allies joined in to fight N Koreans.

I cannot see China anywhere in this situation.

You would need to address this matter with reference to the USSR and Kim Il-Sung.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-30 17:53:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-12-30 15:25
I cannot see China anywhere in this situation.

I was referring to the Chinese conscripts, er, "volunteers" who then invaded in support of NK which is responsible for the decades of hardships endured by NK citizens since then.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-30 18:25:47 |Display all floors

emu

Again, you have gone for the romantic version.

The Korean war was a civil war. June 1950.

Then the US joined in on behalf of the S Koreans and later some other "coalition" troops.

At no stage were the S Koreans and US fighting other than N Koreans.

The US side were pushed down to the Pusan Penninsular.

Still no Chinese.

The US landed more equipment and made and also made the west coast attack at Incheon.

From here the US and SK drove the NK to the Chinese border. November 1950.

Although there was total involvement from the US and allies for the previous 6 months there was no Chinese involvement.

Then November 1950 the VPA drove the US NK armies back to where they had started to protect its own interests.

i.e., The occupation by the US of territory already decided by the Potsdam and Yalta Conferences.

Again, if the US can push one way, China can push the other.

The misery of the NK people is the lack of agreement between the communist world and the US led ant-communist world.

And as I pointed out China was not involved in that.

If you are going to say that China should have allowed the invasion up to its border then you have not considered the wider picture.

A US protected Taiwan, a US occupied Japan and a US occupied Korea.

The buffer zone of N Korea was an explicit part of the Yalta Conference.

You must not lose sight of the fact that the US had been supplying and funding the KMT to the tune of billions to try and destroy the Chinese communists. Therefore no love lost there.

As I said before the problem of N Korean separation is laid squarely at the doors of the US and the USSR.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-30 22:23:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2009-12-30 19:25
Again, you have gone for the romantic version.

The Korean war was a civil war. June 1950.

Then the US joined in on behalf of the S Koreans and later some other "coalition" troops.

Most people with a straight view are aware what you said.
However, for a many people the truth, therefore facts are the last thing they want to hear or read about it.
"I shall return" was pressing very hard to nuke China at that time, he figured the Oval Office should be his.
Expatter, A Happy New Year I wish you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-30 22:32:22 |Display all floors

shameless

A Happy and a Prosperous New Year to you my friend.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.