Views: 15078|Replies: 23

Chinese Girl Shares Chinese Weight Loss Secrets [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-12-28 14:44:57 |Display all floors
Chinese Girl Shares Chinese Weight Loss Secrets
By anglnwu

Ever wonder why Chinese people generally weigh less? Until 25 years ago, before the advent of fast-food in China, Chinese people have the lowest obesity rate. What is their secret to maintaining a trim waistline given their great obsession with food? If you look at their way of life, it revolves around food. Their common traditional greeting, “Have you eaten?” (Ni chi bao le ma?) and the number of people in the family is defined by the number of mouths to feed (kuo-mouths) show the emphasis on food. They even qualify the ability to eat as a blessing.

I was brought up on Chinese food (my grandparents were from China) and have always maintained a size 0 despite eating 5 meals (3 main meals, 2 snacks in between) a day. I analyze the way Chinese people eat and their whole approach to food and come up with some observations as to why they generally weigh a whole lot less. I have also incorporate some tips from Chinese food expert, Lorraire Clissford, author of the book, Why the Chinese Don’t Count Calories.

Forget Calories
To the ruler, people are heaven; to the people, food is heaven ~ ancient Chinese proverb.

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch ~ James A. Beard (I know he’s not Chinese but who can resist such wisdom?)

Calories? What calories? Chinese people don’t have a word for “calories.” Surprising? Not really, they don’t map out their meals in terms of how many fat calories—in fact a 1990 survey found that Chinese people actually consumed 30 percent more calories than Americans, and they are not necessarily more active. If you do the Math, that spells disaster with the “FAT” word. So, where did the Math go wrong by all reasoning? Chinese people view food as nourishment and enjoyment, they tend to eat a more balanced meal—a little meat, some vegetables and always, rice or noodles. And that’s the way to go when eating. Western nutrition expert, Patrick Holford has this to say, “The latest research into weight loss shows that calorie-controlled, low-fat diets are less effective than low glycemic load diets, which is exactly what a traditional Chinese diet is.”

Verdict: Eat a well-rounded meal with the 3 main groups of foods—some carbs, some proteins and lots  of  vitamins and minerals (i.e. vegetables and fruits). Avoid waist-enhancing sugary, nutrient-deficient foods.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-28 15:34:37 |Display all floors
Your kids are getting a taste for fast food, i noticed this in Beijing with all the Mc D's and KFC.  Your traditional diet is a lot better nutritionally but once people start eating those foods its very difficult to change their habits.

Thats why we have such an obesity problem in the West.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2009-12-29 03:23:09 |Display all floors

All areas of China?

Originally posted by angelx at 2009-12-28 14:44
Chinese Girl Shares Chinese Weight Loss Secrets
By anglnwu

Ever wonder why Chinese people generally weigh less? Until 25 years ago, before the advent of fast-food in China, Chinese people have  ...

AngelX

I am from UK

Are Northern Chinese as slim as Southern Chinese?

I am looking at the weather aspect.

When I visit Southern China in summer months just for 2 or 3 weeks, i can loose a couple of Kilo

Any views about the weather?

Zai jian

Chao ren

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-29 17:06:45 |Display all floors
i am slimmer now as eating more vegetables now before the rice.

the last i eat is meat, & not also smaller portions

so that i release more energy to my body

i need them for play play with sweetie
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-31 22:52:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by St_George at 2009-12-28 15:34
Your kids are getting a taste for fast food, i noticed this in Beijing with all the Mc D's and KFC.  Your traditional diet is a lot better nutritionally but once people start eating those foods its ...

"Muchos el grande chanchos"
jia na da ren

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-12 14:40:49 |Display all floors

Reply #1 angelx's post

does this person know what she's talking about? weight loss is a multifactorial issue and she didnt give any methods

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 23:54:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.