Views: 18086|Replies: 59

Why this happens in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-24 11:04:41 |Display all floors
Why there are so much mine accidents happening in China, taking so much of lives with them. Aren't there enough safety procedures and equipments in mines to save lives in case of accidents. Its too bad to hear such stories

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:07:51 |Display all floors
It's because the local corrupt officials ignored central government's regulation on safety standard.

The local officials just interested in making money in short term and try to avoid central government's radar.

Only after there's mass incidents exploded, the corrupt officials may exposed.

We need more bullets for every back of their heads.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:19:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liuyedao at 2009-11-24 11:07
It's because the local corrupt officials ignored central government's regulation on safety standard.

The local officials just interested in making money in short term and try to avoid central go ...

Well there should be some sort of routine inspections that has to take place in a mine. Like China, India too had started mines wherever it is possible to generate energy and fuel but such things happen rare in India, but why aren't mine inspection and safety boards in China which regularly inspects mines for safety. Though the local officials may be corrupt but there must be some respectable body which pulls the strings on them for safety from now and then. Such negligence only bring bad image for China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:22:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2009-11-24 11:19

Well there should be some sort of routine inspections that has to take place in a mine. Like China, India too had started mines wherever it is possible to generate energy and fuel but such th ...

There's inspection of it in China, but because of lack of funding and China's continuous demand for coal, there's always daring businessmen cooperate with corrupt officials to make money and avoid central government's radar.

It's central government's lack of decisive measures that make bad things happened and happened again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:37:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liuyedao at 2009-11-24 11:22

There's inspection of it in China, but because of lack of funding and China's continuous demand for coal, there's always daring businessmen cooperate with corrupt officials to make money and av ...

August, China has pretty heavy funds and reserves to do anything these days. Its not funding which causes this accidents. Look at Bangladesh, a very poor country which had so far 100% mine safety records although the demands are much heavier since 170 million people are locked in this state. The problem is that you need to have regulatory board to be more vocal and efficient. One way of increasing efficiency is to allow the participation of Non government environmental organizations or other safety experts who work independently.

In India such organizations have the right to access safety standards of all mines at all the time. Such things greatly improve the safety of mines and it is not quite possible for central government to manage standards in all mines in a massive country like China. Constructive criticism are acceptable until it remains constructive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:44:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2009-11-24 11:37

August, China has pretty heavy funds and reserves to do anything these days. Its not funding which causes this accidents. Look at Bangladesh, a very poor country which had so far 100% mine safe ...

Manoj,

That's the problem, the political will is not sufficient and the centralized form of taxation system forced local government find new ways to generate revenue, working with rotten businessmen is one. Added by continuous demand of energy from many sectors, the local government provide protection for the businessmen, which form ugly alliance sacrificing the poor workers and denying central government's order.

The drive of developing green energy should ease the demand of coal and at the same time, the anti-graft bod should spare more money and efort.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-24 11:45:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2009-11-24 11:37
Constructive criticism are acceptable until it remains constructive. ...

I know and agree with this, you're not like Rudi or others. :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.