Author: UYA

World Peace? Doable? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-18 17:22:20 |Display all floors
World peace is possible, if all life on the planet is extinguished.

If 99% of humanity decided to halt aggression and only 1% continued to do violence, that one percent would force the 99% to give up their passivity or embrace destruction through inaction.
-----------
Though I have seen no end of humanities inhumanity to his fellow man and with unfortunate confidence I say nor do I see it in his future....... there are people today who inspire hope that a dream is but child sized steps from reality.

Humanity has walked on the moon, visited the deepest parts of the ocean, split the atom, and looked to the very edge of the universe; a reasonable person might think that doing violence to one another is a simple task to overcome, but humans are often far from reasonable.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-11-18 17:34:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cbcronin at 2009-11-18 17:22
World peace is possible, if all life on the planet is extinguished.

If 99% of humanity decided to halt aggression and only 1% continued to do violence, that one percent would force the 99% to gi ...

Good point!

Next question:

Why? Are people not "reasonable"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-18 19:21:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by petera at 2009-11-18 09:46
That won't happen.And The neocons have been quite frank with their demand for continuous war.

there was a world before the Neocons, it just as bad as today if not worse

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-18 19:39:50 |Display all floors

how neo is neocon?

this paranoid view of the world was "red" hot in the Cold War

most likely, the historians here can tell us about how it was then, from both sides. But I expect Chinese will not make their views public, even though we Westerners would value their candour

What I would cherish in CD is accurate and frank views about what it was like in China during the last 50 years

But I expect we will wait for these treasures of knowledge in the future. It is may be too sensitive for now.

When we start doing it, we will all integrate much better

[ Last edited by lebeast at 2009-11-18 09:11 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-18 20:51:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by UYA at 2009-11-17 05:20 PM
Not going to find it here in the CD

End War=World Peace

World Peace=No Armies

No Armies=No Country

No Country=Unity of People

Unity or People=End of Poverty

End or Poverty=End ...

two words americans fear most:  peace and terrorists.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-18 20:54:43 |Display all floors
world peace

should start here:
taiteb.jpg
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-18 20:56:15 |Display all floors
Not going to find it here in the CD

End War=World Peace

World Peace=No Armies

No Armies=No Country

No Country=Unity of People

Unity or People=End of Poverty

End or Poverty=End ...

PEACE IS AN ORPHAN

Peace is an orphan.  In the case of the Democratic Peoples' Radioactive Republic of Korea, even our goddess of peace -- of anti-Mideast-war defiance  and Cuba normalization fame -- Barbara Lee, would not touch it with a 10-foot pole.

I cannot give up.  So I am going to North Korea this Friday alone, just to show up in the "Greatest Show on Earth" known as the Mass Games.  But I could do worse.  Look at most of the anti-war protesters for peace, who typically go through the motion of a futile demonstration, lucky only not to get their heads cracked in the process.  

For me it's my own fixation to rid the world of nuke weapons.  I consider that to be the turning point toward peace, from the addiction for war that the world has not been able to shake loose from for the past half millenium.  Being a nuclear engineer I do feel both responsible and capable to.  And I definitely want to clean up the mess we nuclear engineers made before I leave this Earth.  

The overall goal is to first calm down all parties concerned.  The Americans especially need to relax their view toward North Korea.  Look at the Chinese "Commie Bandits"; they did turn out to be just a bunch of hard working cheap laborers.  Also it was them who taught us ping pong could be more powerful than abomb.
This would be the first step.  Then we need to replace the American fighting force with a peacekeeping troop, which could be recruited appropriately from the six-party countries that are most interested in the condition of the Korean Peninsula.

In a way, North Korea's development of missiles and nuclear bombs is really a blessing in disguise.  She now has the opportunity to become world's first nuclearly militarized country to dismantle all its nuclear and missile weapons.  This would make North Korea the role model for other nuclear superpowers to follow.   Like the green Kyoto Protocol, we need a clear blue Pyongyang Protocol for global nuclear demilitarization to start the world on the road to peace.

Now how do we get North Korea to denuke?  Well, why should she be still riding on the nuclear tiger when the wolves are gone?  Haven't her people suffered long enough to preserve the little that is left of humanity?  Instead, isn't it time for the rest of the world to ask themselves: "Why haven't we started to demilitarize?"
A project of this magnitude is way beyond my league.  We need a person of Barbara Lee's high profile.  Well, unlike wars that go on in all directions, peace only needs the lone superpower to make a simple turn around.  In the next three years, I will continue to look out the narrow window of opportunity, which the ineptness of Bush afforded us, and hope for President Obama, with Barbara Lee leading the cheer, to come through with that turn.
taitef.JPG
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.