Views: 8451|Replies: 10

No pajama party at Expo [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-10-30 09:11:57 |Display all floors
global times

Shanghai authorities denied Thursday that they had scaled up an administrative campaign to quell a pajamas-wearing phenomenon in public, months before the city hosts the World Expo.

Scenes of people wearing sluggish cotton outfits – mostly rich and bold in colors, and printed with flowers or cartoon characters – strolling through streets and public places such as stores, supermarkets and banks, seems to have made Shanghai, the economic hub of the mainland, stand out and amuse visitors.

Wearing pajamas in public "goes against the international practice of social ritual," a press officer with the municipal government, who gave his surname as Yang, told the Global Times, saying that efforts to phrase out pajamas on the streets have been ongoing for years with numerous meetings and campaigns held to address the issue.

LED public boards in downtown areas, for instance, have been seen advocating not wearing pajamas in public.

But the suggestions haven't carried any punitive measures for those insisting on wearing PJs, Yang stressed.

Shen Guofang, a Shanghai community officer, was tasked in July with persuading residents not to wear pajamas in public, China Newsweek reported in its latest issue dated next Monday.

It was part of the official campaign of "Leaving pajamas at home and becoming a civilized host of the World Expo," the magazine reported.

"It's about the face of our nation," Shen was quoted as saying.

Shen, along with 10 community volunteers, wears a red armband at the gate of her community block twice a week and stops people who wear pajamas, the magazine reported.

Shen's community was among a number of them close to the World Expo site to carry out the campaign in response to a call by the Shanghai Women's Association and district committees.

"It (wearing PJs in public) is not something that should be exaggerated at all. Making an issue out of it would only complicate our daily lives even if there is World Expo," an unnamed woman wearing pajamas
on her way back from the store told the magazine, displaying anger and impatience.

The origin of pajama practice remains debatable, with some saying it is a decades-old tradition in self-contained communities in Shanghai.

Duncan Rickelton, 25, a British freelancer who stayed in an old community when he moved to Shanghai earlier this year, said the comfy attire was a frequent sight.

"Nearly every time I went out, I would meet people, both male and female, with pajamas, especially in the evening," Rickelton said. "It's OK and funny. It makes things interesting. It's part of the culture and not impolite. I don't really think it should be banned. That'd be a waste of time and energy."

"If you grow up in an environment where many elderly people do this, then maybe you won't realize it is improper until the media begins criticizing it," said a 27-year-old office worker surnamed Fang, in Shanghai. "The phenomenon is more common in communities and small lanes in old urban areas. They walk with pajamas in areas close to their home."

Sometimes it is difficult to tell what constitutes pajamas, as some people just look like they're trying to be stylish, Rickelton said.

Lin Jian, a Shanghai-based columnist for Vogue magazine, argued that pajama-wearing in public is a real-life scenario that shouldn't be suppressed.

"This is what distinguishes Shanghai from other cities. It is part of the city's identity. You recognize these icons, and then you feel you're home. You can't say they are not civilized. They aren't naked. Dressing reflects the spirit of the time," Lin said.

But Xu Jue, a local media professional, doesn't like them.

"Wearing pajamas in public doesn't show respect," Xu said. "That tradition for some neither matches the city beat, nor reflects the core of Shanghai."

The government may not be in the position to interfere with people's dressing habits, but under the current circumstances, it'd be better if they had a role in the issue, Xu said.

A 31-year-old company manager in Shanghai, surnamed Zhang, said he was uncomfortable seeing so many people wearing pajamas outside on the streets when he moved to Shanghai six years ago.

Shanghai press officer Yang argued that people in other regions have their improper habits, too. "Some Beijing men prefer to be topless during the summer. That should also be changed," Yang said.

Those half-naked Beijingers, known as bang ye, or naked papa, were rarely seen in the summer before the Olympics, as the city cracked down on such practice to improve the city's image.

strange Shanghai habit...
47829e1244.jpg
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-30 16:45:18 |Display all floors
It's hard to say what is pajamas today?
Can you distinctly difine? Designers make this clothes to wear either in bedroon or show in public place. Do you say that sport suit can only wear in sport field, can't display on the street?
People is not allowed to wear slipper on the public spot, but still some modern women wear socalled  达夫妮 femal shoe in office. They say its fashion. what different between them?
In the past, girl has to wear their hair in braids. but now nearly all is 披头散发, which was called lazebone in the old days.but it's fashion now.
Chinese clothes has 5 buttons, but suits has only one. Can we force this suits become into 5 buttons?
I think if one wears clean and don't bare his/her back, or body that's enough.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-30 17:17:01 |Display all floors
Pajama wearing in Shanghai is one of the best regional elements of modern Chinese culture.  If they didnt want pajama wearing at the expo they could have had it in HongKong!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-30 17:20:26 |Display all floors
i want to go there to see pajama ladies! but of course, not during the expo period.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-30 17:43:14 |Display all floors
I am fine with the shirtless men in Beijing.  The problem I have in beijing is the half shirtless.  The pull their shirt up over their fat belly and show it off.  Not very stylish.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 16:56:59 |Display all floors

Shanghai residents told to ditch the pyjamas in run-up to 2010 World Expo

what surprised me is that the topic is still discussed till now. i found the government always has excuses to explain why they must do sth or they don't have the ability to do so. pajama ladies "should" make way for the expo because they aren't civilized. locals should satisfy for the "interests" of the city. but the authorities admitted that there will only be about 5% overseas visitors during the expo period. then who the hell do those pajama ladies disturb? foreign tourists or local officials who are accustomed bow to other countries citizens? they only consider "foreign friends' interests", but never think about locals' ideas. that's common among chinese officials, especially authorities in small cities, so it's shock to know that shanghai, a so-called international city, doesn't respect people's rights.

the Times

A middle-aged woman in pink-and-purple pyjamas walks her dog along a narrow Shanghai lane, apparently undaunted by a government directive against wearing sleepwear in public.“My pyjamas are padded and warm. Look, I wear them over my other clothes,” Mrs Li says, opening the top button to reveal several layers of thick underwear to protect her from a chilly, late-winter morning. “What’s the problem?”

For the authorities in China’s glitziest metropolis, the problem is that they want to present the city’s best face at the 2010 World Expo fair that opens on May 1 — and the decades-long tradition that residents have of wandering the streets in their jimjams simply does not set the right tone.

Reaction from the 19 million inhabitants of Shanghai — many accustomed to shopping in their teddy-bear tops, or playing mah jong in their Hello Kitty sleepsets — has been mixed. Wang Rong, who manages a pyjama shop in the old French concession — a warren of alleys among distinctively European-style homes built in the early part of the 20th century — points to a summer-weight, striped jersey set. “These would be fine even for walking on the main street,” she says. “The colour is bright, the cut is fashionable. It would not be shameful at all to wear this set. No problem.”

She acknowledges that pyjamas may not be entirely appropriate on smarter shopping streets. She brings out a light, white-cotton set embroidered with roses. “It’s probably better to wear these just inside your community or when you pop down to the corner store or the market,” she says.

The government campaign has a certain logic, she admits. “After all, some people really do go out in rather shabby and old pyjamas. And with the World Expo coming up we want people to have a good impression of Shanghai.”

She would feel no embarrassment wandering down to the shops in one of her fashionable pink rosebud sets— but the “No Pyjamas in Public, Be Civilised for the Expo” slogan has prompted nationwide debate. Some newspapers say the drive infringes civil liberties and shows insecurity on the part of the Government.

Back on the street, Mrs Li stops outside the supermarket, then heads inside to pick up a bottle of soy sauce. Other similarly clad, middle-aged women push their trolleys between rows of jars of fermented bean curd, bags of rice and fresh vegetables. Mrs Li says: “It’s very convenient wearing pyjamas. In summer I wear short-sleeved ones and in winter I wear thicker, padded pyjamas.” Her preferred colour is pink.

A middle-aged man, replendent in a tartan set as he browses at a nearby fresh food market, is stunned to be asked to explain his fashion choice and turns on his heel and stalks off.

The debate has gone online, too. One chat-room comment said: “Wearing pyjamas outside is just ignorant. Lacking even such a basic knowledge of etiquette how can we be described as an ancient civilisation?” Others hit back. “Since when did the Government get to decide what people wear? This is ridiculous and sad!”

Another observed: “I have heard that in Scotland the men don’t wear underwear. I don’t know if that can be called civilised or uncivilised or appropriate to international standards. The Shanghai Government should comment!”
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 17:01:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-3-29 16:56
what surprised me is that the topic is still discussed till now. i found the government always has excuses to explain why they must do sth or they don't have the ability to do so. pajama ladies &qu ...

i saw a few at NC recently

i understand as the weather too cold la
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.