Author: fijiboot

Britain's fading Empire; Rising China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-10-16 21:56:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-10-16 21:46

Perhaps we all can agree with you.

Can you agree with the rest of us' observation that ONLY CHINA is constantly talking about its new-found "greatness" and its old glories?

The ...

The "rest of us"? Who's that?

I guess compared with the distinct lack of greatness shown by the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan, China compares quite well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-16 22:06:53 |Display all floors
"Canada, Brazil and India must be empires too."

Geographically extensive and diverse, but not ruled by oligarchies, so they don't fit with the definition.  Russia technically doesn't either, in fact.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-17 16:45:56 |Display all floors
All we have left as a legacy is our great language which strides the world like a colossus.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-17 18:38:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by St_George at 2009-10-17 16:45
All we have left as a legacy is our great language which strides the world like a colossus.

True.  But there are more Chinese speakers that English ones. The English language owes it roots to the Romans.

The Chinese is oldest ancient language hat survived till today and it will be greater than the English. I regretted not learning Chinese when I was young as my country was a British Colony but today I learning Chinese again. I am so proud that I am Chinese!  I am Chinese at last! My dream is that all the overseas Chinese will return home to the motherland!

[ Last edited by Fookchew at 2009-10-17 06:45 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-17 19:18:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-10-17 19:08
Chinese is NOT the oldestsurviving language" though it has been spoken continuously, albeit in vastly different forms, for several millenia.

But it isn't the oldest, not at all. And Englis ...

My favourite whites have always been Sav Blanc but then I discovered this lovely Argento Chardonnay 2007 Mendoza from Argentine. Bloody good man! Bloody cheap too compared to the downunder stuff. Nice to smoky mainland cheese. Hmmmm...

Even wines from my own vineyard weren't good, Maybe it;s my winemaker. Anyway, I will talk to more about languages when I am more sane.  Party at the moment, mate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-18 11:04:09 |Display all floors
Btw, since when do I need you to advise how to drink wine, buddy? How I drink my wine is none of your business.
Chinese is the oldest surviving language and there have been a lot of amazing discoveries about it.

Come to think of it, I think the Argentinians should kick the Brits out of the Falklands.
What the bloody heck are they they doing there,eh? If not for he evil US imperialist-aggressors help (brotherly anglos), the British invaders would have been evicted from Falklands.

Today this dying British empire still fourteen territories that are under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom, but which do not form part of the United Kingdom itself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-18 12:01:01 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.