Author: peterb

A Hate-Filled Morning [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-29 13:46:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Aleh1811 at 2009-8-29 13:32
I actually agree with peterb here. Discrimination against palestine people and advancements of settlements are important factors that obstruct potential peace projects.

As you can see from the article, there are some Israeli Jews who sympathize with the plight of the Palestinians.

Another is Gilad Atzmon.

Unfortunately, the political momentum seems to be heading in the opposite direction, a dangerous course for both sides.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 13:59:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by funtogo at 2009-8-29 13:46

As you can see from the article, there are some Israeli Jews who sympathize with the plight of the Palestinians.

Another is Gilad Atzmon.

Unfortunately, the political momentum seems to be ...

Sadly it's a minority who can accept them as well as the other way around.

I've always thought that the reason peace treaties are never reached/sustained is not because of incapacity but lack of will.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 14:06:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Aleh1811 at 2009-8-29 13:59

Sadly it's a minority who can accept them as well as the other way around.

I've always thought that the reason peace treaties are never reached/sustained is not because of incapacity but lac ...

Perhaps Iran going nuclear isn't such a bad idea. At least then neither side will be game enough to start another war, and they may then concentrate their efforts on a peace deal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 14:14:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by funtogo at 2009-8-29 14:06

Perhaps Iran going nuclear isn't such a bad idea. At least then neither side will be game enough to start another war, and they may then concentrate their efforts on a peace deal.

I doubt Iran nuclear capacities would serve as a dissuasive for anything but invading Iran.

I don't think they are interested genuinely in the Palestine-Israel conflict, It's most likely just used as scape goat to bring attention away from Iran's many internal problems.

Besides, it'd be pointless to threaten  to nuke Israel to protect Palestinians as they are both located at the same place.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 14:43:58 |Display all floors
Nuclear weapons aren't really weapons of war, unless one is suicidal.

They're more like an insurance policy. Of all the wars the U.S. has fought, not one has been with a nuclear state. Hence North Korea's development of them.

As for Iran, they also realize that any use/attempted use of them would mean the end of their country.
What Israeli politicians really fear is an equalization of power and an end to their military superiority in the M.E.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 21:20:07 |Display all floors

For seneca

Originally posted by peterb at 2009-8-29 10:43
The article was based on a report from an Israeli who visited Palestinians.

What's your problem with that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-29 21:56:24 |Display all floors

re Aussie...

Why bother? The same reply would suit both instances.

Don't you and seneca have anything positive to say about his brave, courageous and empathetic Israeli who exposed the racism against Palestinians by his/her fanatic compatriots?

Or does it cut too close to the bone?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.