Views: 3909|Replies: 5

柏拉图的一句话里面有个病句 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-20 16:11:30 |Display all floors
Take a look round, then, and see that none of the uninitiated are listening. Now by the uninitiated I mean the people who believe in nothing but what they can grasp in their hands, and who will not allow that action or generation or anything invisible can have real existence.

Plato

感觉红色这句好像是个病句吧,all that something can have real existence?那个can是多余的吧?

这句话什么意思呢?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 19:47:11 |Display all floors

^_^

有病句的可能,因为并非英文原文,这是译过来的英文。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 20:10:33 |Display all floors

action or generation

Originally posted by littleboat at 2009-8-20 16:11
Take a look round, then, and see that none of the uninitiated are listening. Now by the uninitiated I mean the people who believe in nothing but what they can grasp in their hands, and who will not allow that action or generation or anything invisible can have real existence.

举目四望,未入门的人,都没认真聆听。所谓未入门的人,我是指那些只相信具体可感之物而将不可见的事物等同于不存在的人。

原句文法本身,似乎没问题,但比较不好理解的是标红部分action和generation的内涵,所以在上面的试探性译文里,与其悉数译出而出错或造成语义模棱,而选择理解其内涵,以总结的方式译出,这样不背离原文,同时避免刺眼的疙瘩。 :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 12:24:47 |Display all floors
我觉得语法并无任何问题。
楼上是高人,翻出了精髓。
我试着把红色那部分用一一对应的笨办法翻出来你看看:
Now by the uninitiated I mean the people who believe in nothing but what they can grasp in their hands,
and who will not allow that action or generation or anything invisible can have real existence.

我所指的是那些只相信我握在他们手里的东西的人。他们不愿意承认那些看不见的行为、结果或其他的任何东西可能实际存在。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 19:23:06 |Display all floors

该句并非病句!and who ... 与 who believe... 并列;that 引导的是 allow 的宾语从句,此处 allow 作认为解 ; can 在此表示推断——可能。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 19:56:42 |Display all floors
allow做认为讲,就能说得通了。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.