Views: 42460|Replies: 155

Taking a retrospective pulse of the Urumqi Riots [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-7-10 17:15:11 |Display all floors
In the wake of the unusually disruptive year of 2008 which left us with almost one major disaster per month for the first half of the year, a collective sigh of relief was audible in the entire nation as the Beijing Olympics came to a successful conclusion in August.

There followed a stream of disastrous financial news beginning with the bankruptcy of Leyman Brothers in the U.S.   In quick succession the five major investment banks and other major financial institutions in Wall Street fell like dominoes.  

The eerie spectacle of all this happening in the immediate aftermath of the Beijing Games -- in which the symbolic significance of a non-white nation achieving primacy in the medals standings was not lost on the global audience -- was surreal.

So for a full year after August, 2008, despite the snowballing effects of the financial downturn, the Chinese nation had enjoyed relative calm in the lull of the El Nino doldrums.

Then the riots came and turned the world's attention to the most inland city of the world -- Urumqi of China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region -- a place I had visited twice in the past seven years.  

Suddenly the Middle East and the impending bankruptcy of California were no longer headline news.  In its place the about-face façade of a wizened old woman was thrust to the forefront by the Western media.

You can hear their gleeful moans even as they masturbate in their synagogues and churches while urging the Chinese government to exercise “restraint” as if their own reactions to terrorist attacks including 911 had been saunters down Park Avenue.  

Gaige Kaifang is China's historic moment for cultural revivalism and national rejuvenation.  As such, the least it could expect is to be smooth-sailing from beginning to end.  

The nation will be rocked continually by untimely political upheavals.  The Dalai Lama and Rebiya are just two monkey's wrenches thrown by our ill-wishers into our otherwise well-oiled machinery of national development.

Insanely jealous external forces are at work trying to turn history’s clock back into a time and place when the Chinese nation was divided and its multitudes were forced to suffer through the social, political and economic consequences of such disunity.

Eternal vigilance is the price we have to pay to ride out the raging waters in the next three decades.

This is the right moment for us to take a pulse at the phenomenon of those benefited by Gaige Kaifang turning against their benefactors, for Rebiya was certainly one of its most notorious beneficiaries.

Wei Chao, M.D.
HKSAR

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2009-7-10 17:30:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-10 17:54:15 |Display all floors

How it started

SHAOGUAN, Guangdong, July 9 (Xinhua) -- Two people detained on charges of fabricating and spreading rumors of rapes and beatings in connection with a factory fight in Guangdong Province on Thursday expressed regret for their actions.

Their unsubstantiated postings on the Internet, saying "Six Xinjiang boys raped two innocent girls at the Xuri Toy Factory" in Shaoguan city, Guangdong Province, caused the massive brawl, which left two Uygur employees dead and more than 100 injured on June 26.

Huang Jiangyuan, 23, told a Xinhua reporter at a detention center in Shaoguan, that he was angry at being turned down by the Xuri Toy Factory after applying for a job in June.

"I post an article 'Xuri is trash' at a forum on www.sg169.com on June 16, saying 'Six Xinjiang boys raped two innocent girls at the Xuri Toy Factory', which quickly spread on the Internet," Huang said.

"I just wanted to express my discontent with the factory, but I never anticipated such a tragic outcome," said Huang, who was detained by police on June 28 over spreading rumor and slandering.

Police found no rape cases at the Xuri Toy Factory.

Rebiya Kadeer then got hold of the story, called a meeting of her  "World Weegur Congress" and the rest is history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-10 18:09:51 |Display all floors
AN ATOM BOME - THROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.........

BANG BANG

DIE TO EXTINCT ....

IN THE 800 YEAR THERE CANNOT GROW EVEN A CABBAGE.
My English is soooo poooor....

Sooooo Can you HELP me? thanks very much..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-10 18:14:55 |Display all floors
BEFORE IT WE HAN MUST COME BACK
My English is soooo poooor....

Sooooo Can you HELP me? thanks very much..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-10 18:54:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Gay_Chev at 2009-7-10 18:09
AN ATOM BOME - THROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.........

BANG BANG

DIE TO EXTINCT ....

IN THE 800 YEAR THERE CANNOT GROW EVEN A CABBAGE.

And destroy your own country?

Hu Jintao has a better idea. It will all be solved, so you can go back to playing "Doom".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-10 20:05:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2009-7-10 18:54

And destroy your own country?

Hu Jintao has a better idea. It will all be solved, so you can go back to playing "Doom".

Hi peterb:

Glad you could tear yourself away from your busy schedule to enjoin the disruption artists from wreaking havoc in this forum.

btw, do you have any idea where petera is?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.