Views: 2150|Replies: 6

Graphic testimony heard in beheading case [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-3 10:21:59 |Display all floors
MSNBC.com

Graphic testimony heard in beheading case
After hearing, judge certifies first-degree murder charges against suspect
The Associated Press
updated 6:10 p.m. ET, Fri., May 29, 2009
CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. - A Virginia Tech doctoral student lunged at a fellow student in a campus cafe and began cutting her head off with a knife while staring at her face with a blank, determined expression, a cafe worker testified Friday.

Corey Cox said he had just returned from a break at his job at Au Bon Pan in Tech's Graduate Life Center on Jan. 21 when he heard growling and screaming. He looked up to see Haiyan Zhu attacking Xin Yang.

"He was already going at her, cutting her head off," Cox testified at a preliminary hearing for Zhu.

Cox said he dove behind the counter and called 911 while customers and his manager ran from the coffee shop. At least twice during the call, Cox said, the dispatcher asked him to look around the abandoned shop so he could give her more information.

'Really blank, determined look'
Each time he looked up, Cox said, Zhu was on top of Yang, who was on the floor. Zhu stared at Yang's face as he cut through her neck, Cox said.

"It wasn't really an angry face at all," said Cox, at that point the only witness to the gruesome events. "It was just a really blank, determined look."

By the time police arrived, Zhu was holding the woman's head in his hand, an officer testified.

"I saw a body lying and I saw a gentleman walking toward me with a head in his hand," testified Nicole Irvine of the Virginia Tech Police Department.

Irvine said he dropped the head when she ordered him to put his hands in the air.

After hearing from the two witnesses, Montgomery County General District Judge Gino Williams certified first-degree murder charges against Zhu, 25. The next step is a grand jury indictment before a trial can be scheduled.

Zhu was studying for a doctorate in Tech's agriculture and applied economics program. Yang, 22, had just arrived at the school two weeks before to study for a master's degree in accounting. She listed Zhu as her emergency contact. The extent of their relationship is not clear, but both students were from China. After his arrest, Zhu talked about Yang in the present tense and said she was not his girlfriend yet, Irvine testified.

Drinking coffee before the attack
Witnesses have told police that Zhu and Yang were drinking coffee together and had not been arguing before the attack.

Irvine said she found a kitchen knife lying on a table in the cafe and Zhu told her he had knives and a hammer in his backpack.

Zhu's lawyer did not present any witnesses, which is common at preliminary hearings. Zhu's lawyer also made no comment afterward.

Zhu showed no emotion as he sat manacled and shackled, often looking down and writing during the hearing. Four bailiffs stood behind him. An interpreter sat beside Zhu, whispering a translation of the proceedings.

Zhu, who is being held at a local jail, was evaluated at a state mental hospital and found competent to stand trial.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31003973/

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2009 MSNBC.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 11:37:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broken_heart at 2009-6-3 10:21
MSNBC.com

Graphic testimony heard in beheading case
After hearing, judge certifies first-degree murder charges against suspect
The Associated Press
updated 6:10 p.m. ET, Fri., May 2 ...

funny...

where in the world would there be white people standing by monitoring the facial expressions of killers as they ae beheading people

he seemed to have sat and watched the whole thing, but did nothing..

he could have saved the girls life

and he should be convicted along with the murderer

probably his homosexual lover

cox probably instigated the boy to kill her as a sort of homosexual pride thing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 12:12:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1337assassin at 2009-6-2 21:37

funny...

where in the world would there be white people standing by monitoring the facial expressions of killers as they ae beheading people

he seemed to have sat and watched the whol ...

Have you ever witnessed such a brutal sight or any kind of extreme violence, I mean up close and personal, where you got it all over you, or had to hold b ody parts together or put them in a bag?.....

Have you ever seen another do something so horrific before your eyes before, you vomited or wet yourself....

People go into shock!! People lose all empathy and feeling in shock.............

They freeze up, some can't hear, see or even breathe..... They are a deer trapped in the headlights and froozen, they are the weak.....

ALOT of people can not take such horrific and graphic shock AMATEUR!!!....................

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 12:55:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 13:06:50 |Display all floors

Reply #4 huang262's post

Not racist, but frozen by the shock of the sight I imagine. I do agree that I would've tried to help the girl but unless you were close, by the time you got there, she'd be gone anyway.
Eagleclaw, yes I have witnessed such things up close and person, or the results of them anyway. It is a shock but training kicks in and things must be dealt with.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 13:22:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2009-6-2 22:55
Corey Cox sounds like a racist coward. I would have bashed the attacker's head in to save the poor girl.

A man was scared silly and you call him racist........

We all know who is racist in here lost one.............

I am also sure you would have helped after p issing your pants or throwing up brave one...........

Fact is brave one..... You dont really know what you would or wouldn't do, or could or couldn't have done...  

Unless of course, you have already been tested and proven to yourself, under pressure or under fi re, and if you have never been tested or under fi re, you would like to think you would do something, and that is honorable....

But, you must react on instinct and without thought for yourself, even if it meant losing your own life....

Yea, losing your life because you helped another in such a serious life altering moment.... Some just have to much value for their own self preservation when it comes down to helping in a situation like this, or are just to scared.......

Alot of people can not take anothers life.... Alot that think they can, actually can't when it comes down to doing it in a moments thought, and without hesitation.....

And then there is afterwards, if you do act....... You have to live with it and put it behind you and that can take some ?????

There is alot that goes into this process  in a split second lost one, and seconds can seem like minutes and hours as it drags on....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-3 13:39:46 |Display all floors
i can say nothing but why???? why????? it's a life!
and don't judge Cox... seeing ppl cutting other's head is too scary.... he is the victim as well.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.