Author: lyasun5

When you speak English, will Chinese appear in your brain? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-4-2 21:30:37 |Display all floors

agree it

actually,sometimes we can't talking with foriegners ,just be shy.but u needn't care u will make jokes or sth,just let them know what u want to express.after a while,u will practice ur english,and improve it !just don't be shy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-2 22:01:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lyasun5 at 2009-4-2 16:21

maybe you are right! I always feel shyness when I chat with foreigners,
when we finish talking about our work, I have no other words chat with them, and go back to my seat. when we meet, I onl ...

haha, r ur smile sweety?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-2 22:58:03 |Display all floors

whatever appears no control of that...

hopefully the right logic or my english laosao will confuse many  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 00:35:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gangsta at 2009-4-2 11:14
No, i don't think so! Besides i am not Chinese!
When i speak English i think in English and when i speak Chinese i think in Chinese! And i can turn it on and off, depending on the situ ...

i think u are an excellent bilingual elite .
u know ,it's not so easy for us non-english speakers to talk in natives' thought
anyway, it's really tuff for me  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 00:47:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by allenmiao at 2009-4-2 13:23

brother, u mean speaking Cantonese?

:)

u know there're so many dialects in our country
not necessarily cantonese ,
have u heard of hakka dialect ?
actually i can speak both  hakka and cantonese .
definitely i am fluent in mandarin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 08:18:33 |Display all floors
From my research on this subject I have found that the ability to think in a language is often drectly influenced by the percentage of time spent using that subject exclusively.

Immersion =90%

Until immersion has been achieved and continued for about a year it is incredibly difficult to think in a foreign language as your brain tells you that your primary language (Chinese) is still the one that carries more weight.

Usually I can tell if someone is thinking in Chinese or English as when they think in Chinese and then speak in English there is about an extra 1/4 second before they reply. (translating time) It is not a problem though so you dont have to worry about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-3 08:25:26 |Display all floors
If you learn foreign language in mother tongue country,maybe Chinese will not appear in your brain.Because when we learnt English,teacher often translate it to Chinese to remember easily.That's reason.If you know new word which you don't know Chinese meaning,when you say it ,I think,Chinese won't appear in brain.

[ Last edited by justwowo at 2009-4-3 08:39 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.