Author: expatter

Celebrate Serfs Day with E. Candler [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-30 19:38:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iamnaive at 2009-3-30 19:32
Augusten,

You have millions of Chinese C atholics and B uddhist  in China.

They are okay, as long as they don't obey your god.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-30 19:59:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iamnaive at 2009-3-30 20:32

A few figures from wiki about Buddhism in China:

More recent surveys put the total number of Chinese Buddhists between 660 million (50%) and over 1 billion (80%), thus making China the country with the most Buddhist adherents in the world, followed by Japan.

However, it was difficult to estimate accurately the number of Buddhists because they did not have congregational memberships and often did not participate in public ceremonies. Many lay people practice Buddhism and Taoism at the same time.

Buddhism is tacitly supported by the government

It seems that Buddhism and Daoism are THE religions of China. The rest are also runs and in no way dominant or important. Even as an atheist I feel comfortable with such religions. They are more tolerant and human than any monotheistic religion, ok, with the exception of the D.   L

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-30 20:37:25 |Display all floors

Seneca

You should know the difference between a serf and a slave.  If not look it up.

It has become obvious that you have not read Candler and your critique of him is your own personal point of view based on your own beliefs. It is also becoming very apparent that you are not used to dissertation.

It is good to have a creed, and like bums everyone has got one.  But some smell worse than others.

I have made no objection to a sky burial. This is a passage direct from Candler and I have quoted the book title at the top.  
You theorize, I have made no such claim.

My encyclopedic knowledge with reference to the meat eating comes from the same book, and from an eye witness making note on what he saw in 1903.
Again you theorize I made no such claim.

The DL made this statement at a banquet in the U.S when he was queried about meat eating and Buddhism.
His hosts were surprised when he loaded up on veal.

I think you should really consider where the expressions, ‘knee’ and ‘jerk’ deserve their source and whether this is warranted.

Your comments are irrational, and indicative of not reading the text and source thoroughly.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-3-30 21:38:13 |Display all floors

Surely you can provide us with hints to the sources that inspired you to claim the D.L. likes veal?

That certainly was a major surprise in your post, if nothing else.

This is nothing special. Many Buddhists eat meat. There is no general prohibition. Buddhists are no Hindus.

As for the source, I quote from the 'Milwaukee Journal Sentinel':

At a recent luncheon the D.   L “chowed down” on a locally raised veal roast prepared by Beard Award–winning Wisconsin chef Sandy D’Amato. He “lapped up” everything else as well—a five-course menu that included a cured fish appetizer, an asparagus soup with a chicken stock base, a stuffed pheasant breast, a mixed green salad, an eggplant-and-chickpea entrée, and three chocolate desserts.

Bon appetit  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-31 08:42:21 |Display all floors
what's the point?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-31 10:54:11 |Display all floors

twitter

Hopefully seneca will answer that for you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-31 11:59:29 |Display all floors

Satsu_Jin

Thanks for that reference.

I am sure that Seneca would expect me to spend hours getting the original quote.

Only to trounce the source once done.

I think the important part of the disposal of the dead is not our modern perceptions of this event,

But rather what a shock it must have been to the visitor in 1903. That is the part which is salient.

The other thing is the irony of praying to the insects and microbes one might have accidentally killed.

Only to order someone to kill a Yak or such so that they could eat meat.  

The problem here is not the meat eating, but the killing and hypocrisy in laying the blame for the death on the butcher.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.