Views: 15332|Replies: 49

Cannabis, an answer to recession in China? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-6 15:31:10 |Display all floors
Cannabis is the Latin name for the hemp plant which was grown in China for more than 8,500 years. Hemp helped the human population make the great achievements it did and in fact the sailing ships of 100 years ago were powered by hemp. The oil content in a hemp plant is three times that of any other plant, and the plant is very hardy and grows almost anywhere.  Paper was made from hemp and it can yield 3-8 dry tons of fiber per acre. This is four times what an average forest can yield. Hemp can make medicines, building materials, bio-degradable plastics and the list goes on. The fall from grace of this plant in the 1930’s is a story of greed and manipulation in the U.S.

At the height of its usefulness in the 1930’s the modern farming machinery was set to make hemp a multi-billion dollar crop in the U.S. This however coincided with the development of nylons and plastics by the Dupont industry, and in addition, William Randolph Hearst (Citizen Kane) and the Hearst Paper Manufacturing Division of Kimberly Clark owned vast acreage of timberlands. The Hearst Company supplied most paper products.  Both these industries would suffer if hemp production increased.  Using insiders in the government they managed to get the plant outlawed as dangerous and placed as a Class 1 drug next to heroin, where it still is today.  The case for the use of this plant in agriculture is stunning and compelling.

But it is a drug you might say.  That is true to some degree, but what sort of drug?  I know people who occasionally smoke this and it does not cause them problems. They are not addicted as there is no nicotine and yet governments allow nicotine.  It makes people lose some mental control. Maybe, but so does alcohol which is legal.  Marijuana is actually known for its properties in alleviating asthma and is allowed under prescription in the States.  In fact there is a deal of evidence to suggest that marijuana is no more dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol and should not be classified the same as heroin which is a lethal and addictive drug.  Rather the opposite, a deal of research has shown that the medicinal values of marijuana are very important.

Besides this, there is the fact that the growth density of the plant dictates the amount of drug within it. On top of that certain strains of the plant contain less than 0.03% of marijuana.  Scientists have also been able to create virtually drug free specimens.

I believe that there is already one such production hemp base in Dongping, Shangdong and maybe China should look very hard and objectively at the production of hemp as a source of food, medicine, materials and fuel.  The plant is now growing in Canada and other places and many countries have relaxed laws on hemp because it has not been found to be the devil but rather quite the opposite.

I believe that this plant has been outcast due to the business interests of big business in America and its shame, is really the shame of greed. As the writer of this article I will plainly state that I have smoked two marijuana cigarettes in my life. The first time I fell asleep, and the second time I danced energetically all evening. I had a third cigarette which I never bothered to smoke. As an addicted cigarette smoker, I found that marijuana was not addictive in the same way as cigarettes and alcohol, but was possibly rather fun for the odd buzz.  Many countries allow the private use of marijuana for personal use and you cannot say that for heroin.  Why are they both classed the same in the U.S, Class 1?

I neither promote, or discourage, the use of marijuana but rather I am pointing out the enormous benefits of one of the world’s greatest plants for the use of mankind.

China should revisit from a scientific standpoint this amazing plant and ignore the propaganda from the U.S government and its corporate wolves.  Then consider the value of what nature can provide in the form of hemp.  This is a very good time for China to develop prosperous cash rich crops.

At the same time China should look at the properties of the drug marijuana and make their own assessments based on research and facts.

http://www.gluckman.com/hemp.html
http://www.hempnation.com/
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-284.html
http://www.naihc.org/hemp_information/hemp_facts.html
http://www.illuminati-news.com/marijuana-conspiracy.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuPont#Hemp

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 18:48:52 |Display all floors
But China was almost sundered by opium, another medicinal plant, in the nineteenth century.  Why now a new one in the twenty-first century? If there are really commercial benefits, let another country try it first.  After all, if it's about agricultural produce, then there is no latent period lost from trying it later.  Provided there is no harm.

And i think there will be. Two sticks of marijuana can start a lifetime of misery and other ills of society. How many millions of lives have been destroyed in the last century from addiction to all manners of two-faced plant life?  And not many people are as intelligent as you to dispassionately describe the experience, and then walk away from the addiction.  Especially when there will be many other hungry people to coax them to continue getting the new experience.  They will find ways and means to do so, especially if what they get are a continuous source of money from dependent zombies.

When it comes to bad habits, man is generally weak in will.  That's why they're called 'habits'.  And when habits are bad, intelligence must be combined with will to fight them.

The only way is not to adopt it from the very beginning.

How can one profit from the misery and suffering of others?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 18:52:59 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-3-6 23:19:37 |Display all floors

markwu

Thank you for the reply.

Please take the time to look up some information about hemp, marijuana and cannabis.

I mean this in the most honest way.

You will be surprised what you find.

As a Chinese your reaction is honest and true.

But are you sure that there is not a Western lie in here.

As a Chinese you will have the most revulsion to this and with good reason.

A few years from now this crop will be big news as it has the answer in the future.

Just as it did in the past, before it was discredited by the corporations.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 23:42:06 |Display all floors
Ad hoc:

Schemata is debilitating.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-7 11:24:19 |Display all floors
LOL

It's not a corporate conspiracy, it's just the worldwide disapproval of moralizing ninnies. Next you'll tell me that prohibition was really just a cover for Dupont's need to sell more paint-thinner and the sudden realization that it could be used to "help" bathtub gins.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-7 13:28:18 |Display all floors

interesting

Sorry, I am only covering the one topic here and have no wish to offer anything further.

But please imagine away if it helps you.

As you know it was the yanks that made marijuana a class 1 drug.

Then made the films about drug crazed loonies for the U.S population to consume.

Lot of trouble for nothing.

The essence of the current post is that hemp is an extremely practical crop and that the demonization is far beyond the reality.

That then calls or begs, why?

Thank you for the explanation.

Moralizing ninnies can get a substance deemed class 1 and banned, but cannot do the same for addictive cigarettes and liver blowing, mind altering alcohol.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.