Author: iamnaive

DARFUR [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-6 19:00:45 |Display all floors
"DARFUR

Latest news: yesterday China asked to suspend the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court for Sudanese dictator Bashir. China's official reasons are that it is worried that the arrest warrant might make things worse in Darfur.

Am I reading the news correctly? China is WORRIED about Darfur, when for years the PRC's money and arms have helped the Sudanese dictatorship commit the genocide in that region?

I think this a legitimate topic and should be discussed here openly "

I like to take a guess at the unofficial perhaps the genuine reason.

First I agree the indictment won't help the Darfur civilians one bit.  The goodwill of the subject of the arrest warrant and his government is essential to stopping the bloodletting.  Even though there's been scant efforts from Khartoum so far.  

The indictment is political grandstanding by an ambitious prosecutor which will end up alienating the Arab Leagues and the AU, the two other entities you need for any significant progress.  Again theres been scant evidence of that.  Doesn't make it right to go for prosecution though.

The prosecutors are just looking to pluck the proverbial low hanging fruit to test drive a political ploy.  Indictment of sitting head of state.

Thats certainly cause for concern to many countries with highly publicized human rights situation.

Imagine the implication for China of a successful prosecution, be it in absentia as how this thing may proceed if it does at all.   

Suppose another ambition prosecutor comes along and decide to look closely at the various human rights situations in China.  With an arrest warrant hanging over ones head, a warrant if to be honored by majority of countries,  China's soft power diplomacy will suffer.  The top leaders will be grounded or severly restricted in their overseas charm offensive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 19:29:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 19:37:20 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 19:46:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by totothedog at 2009-3-6 19:29
Now that they conflict has died down and peace treaties have been signeed, they want to accuse China of SOMEHOW being responsible for a non-existant conflict. It's the OIL!!!

Quite. The conflict was dying with peace overtures in the pipeline when the ICC decides to throw a spanner in the works. Yet they allow Pinochet to escape and refuse to prosecute Bush & Co. for their mass murder via a wa.r based on lies in Iraq.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 19:55:17 |Display all floors
Don't harmonize me

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 20:11:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by diaboloist at 2009-3-6 19:00
"DARFUR

Latest news: yesterday China asked to suspend the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court for Sudanese dictator Bashir. China's official reasons are that it is  ...

You may think an arrest warrant won't change things in Darfur. Ok, probably it won't change them from one day to the next. However, an arrest warrant is in any case a VERY powerful piece of paper which can stir up waters and shift public attention to an issue, the Darfur one, which has mostly been disregarded by the press so far.

An arrest warrant is powerful not so much as a practical tool (I don't think we'll have leatherheads flying over Khartoum and arresting Bashir by night) but as a diplomatic and political one. In many cases a tool of this kind is the only practicable one to change things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-6 20:13:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by totothedog at 2009-3-6 19:29
Now that they conflict has died down and peace treaties have been signeed, they want to accuse China of SOMEHOW being responsible for a non-existant conflict. It's the OIL!!!

Yes it's the oil the responsible one, and China is after it...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.