Author: looove

how to improve my oral english [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-25 12:28:57 |Display all floors

Have confidence .

Oral English ( any language ) requires the phonetics (  getting the sounds right )to be correct . Decide first of all which English accent you wish to learn : American or British . Then :

1) Listen to news on TV and radio with English broadcasts , using that accent .

2) Hire a teacher  or join a class with a good teacher who emphasizes on sounds , tone and inflections . Do not be fooled by laowais and being automatically good teachers .

3) Listen to linguaphone tapes or DVDs and copy the sounds and rhythm .

4) Talk to friends who are English speakers , make mistakes and learn .

Good luck , English is easy as ABC. If you can master putonghua tones , you would not have trouble with any other language on earth , except perhaps Swahili .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:16:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2009-2-25 12:28
Have confidence .

Oral English ( any language ) requires the phonetics (  getting the sounds right )to be correct . Decide first of all which English accent you wish to learn : American or British . Then :

1) Listen to news on TV and radio with English broadcasts , using that accent .

2) Hire a teacher  or join a class with a good teacher who emphasizes on sounds , tone and inflections . Do not be fooled by laowais and being automatically good teachers .

3) Listen to linguaphone tapes or DVDs and copy the sounds and rhythm .

4) Talk to friends who are English speakers , make mistakes and learn .

Good luck , English is easy as ABC. If you can master putonghua tones , you would not have trouble with any other language on earth , except perhaps Swahili .  

Mengzhi:

Very good advice and very decent posts from you.

I have to see you with another eyes.
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:17:25 |Display all floors

Reply #171 mengzhi's post

Mengzhi:

You english is good, what about your putonghua?
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:18:09 |Display all floors

Reply #168 thunderbird's post

Yes,it is true.
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:19:35 |Display all floors

Mengzhi:

How to remember new complicated words?

Can you teach me?
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:21:44 |Display all floors

Reply #171 mengzhi's post

What is Swahili?
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 13:53:54 |Display all floors

How to improve my oral English

As my first post  tried to answer the question but seemed to draw both good and bad replies I offer the following comments.  

Well done to lizhnj; y22fy540; kfz7619 and many others whose own methods echo the advice I gave.   But then there's the
"Differering advice" post that states " It's no good to say learn all aspects of English..." and then informs us of his/her teaching
experience in South Korea where the methodology chosen for teaching oral English included  some of the other skills I mentioned.
And it would appear from what is said, was teaching there without a qualification in teaching English as a foreign/ second language.
Either this is the mark of a briliant teacher or says something about recruitment in S. Korea. If you really "teach at the speed you think..."
I would be interested to observe this phenomenon and its effect on students. To be fair to you, you did try to be helpful.

And then there are the adolescents ( probably teenage boys) who use the Forum as a way of gaining some form of celebrity status and  seem to say  nothing  that directly addresses the question. Posting several thousand replies is not necessarily a good thing if you have
little to say!  But I suppose it's an alternative to ' getting a life.'

It's been suggested that people are leaving this Forum. That's a pity because it does provide an outlet for people to express
themselves and get help from some well-intentioned writers.  I for one, will sadly make this my second and  final post as I am busy, but good luck to all those who genuinely want to improve their English. To those of you who are studying, just focus on why you want to
improve and what you will do in your life when you are proficient.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.