Views: 1509|Replies: 6

Laowai, a proper word to address a foreigner? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-25 14:10:27 |Display all floors
Laowai is used by many Chinese people as a good-humored nickname for foreigners, particularly for westerners. It has become an unconscious way to address foreigners in China. We never give it a second thought when we see a foreigner and say, hi, Laowai! But it seems that many foreigners feel quite uncomfortable when being referred to as "Laowai" by Chinese people. How do you feel if someone call you laowai? Waht do you think of it?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-2-25 14:32:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2009-2-25 15:10
Laowai is used by many Chinese people as a good-humored nickname for foreigners, particularly for westerners. It has become an unconscious way to address foreigners in China. We never give it a sec ...

Nothing to feel uncomfortable about. I never understood why some people consider it an insult.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 14:46:10 |Display all floors
who????????????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 15:44:14 |Display all floors

Reply #1 mariame's post

I think in China addressing foreigners as Laowai is friendly,of course no hurting to them~~but if we call few ones of them "the old China hand" maybe show a little bit jeer to those Occidentals?
Heavens bless you & me!

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-2-25 16:08:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2009-2-25 14:10
Laowai is used by many Chinese people as a good-humored nickname for foreigners, particularly for westerners. It has become an unconscious way to address foreigners in China. We never give it a sec ...

It does not matter how you call the westerners.What it does is how we behave to them
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 16:13:42 |Display all floors

Reply #5 xilaren's post

and like us to call you "old China hand" same as my upper floor reply?

Heavens bless you & me!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-25 16:20:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2009-2-25 14:10

Laowai is acceptable to more and more foreigners. And many of them call themselves laowai for they think the address is funny and friendly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.