Views: 10313|Replies: 75

Tell me, am I Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-21 06:05:56 |Display all floors
I have been wondering a lot about this matter of my ethnic identity.

I mean,  what am I?

Am I supposed to be Chinese?

I am actually from Sweden,   and I have never lived in China.

My ancestors are from Tai wa n.   My ancestors are a mixture of Japanese Samurai dating back to the days of Koxinga,  the founder of Tai wa n,  and Hokkienese mixed with native Indigenous Tai wa nese ( or Malayo-Polynesian Indigenous tribes )

Most of my relatives would strongly deny that they were Chinese.

I myself would usually tell people that I was Tai wa nese,  mixed with Japanese.

So,  am I supposed to be Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:15:11 |Display all floors

B all you can B...

and i kno who i am...i'm me  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:30:54 |Display all floors

Reply #1 chinpatriot's post

I know how you feel.  My children were born and grew up in the U.S.  They don't know China much.  But they know they are Chinese.  
But I am not sure their children would feel the same way if they marry someone other than Chinese, and their children's children.......

Well, you are Chinse if you think and feel that you are Chinese. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:31:04 |Display all floors
You are calling yourself chinpatriot, you praise the Chinese government, you are pouring all your hate on the "Anglos" who - in your opinion - are all (without exception) racist towards the Chinese (you included, I reckon).  -
And now, you ask yourself if you're Chinese or not?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:40:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NYChinatown at 2009-2-21 06:15
and i kno who i am...i'm me  

Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:44:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broadscan at 2009-2-21 06:30
I know how you feel.  My children were born and grew up in the U.S.  They don't know China much.  But they know they are Chinese.  
But I am not sure their children would feel the same way if they ...

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am not sure myself if I really feel Chinese,  although whenever I meet Chinese people,   it is always good to speak Chinese with them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-21 06:57:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bern2009 at 2009-2-21 06:31
You are calling yourself chinpatriot, you praise the Chinese government, you are pouring all your hate on the "Anglos" who - in your opinion - are all (without exception) racist towards t ...

You are wrong,  I do not hate the white Anglos.

I am only pointing out how the white English people look down on the Chinese people as being inferior,   whereas the white Swedish,  Dutch,  French,  German,  Spanish,  Russian,  Italian, Greek, ...people always treat the Chinese people as equals to white people.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.