Views: 16551|Replies: 39

Senior or young people? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-16 11:30:50 |Display all floors
A short report on the Internet attracted my attention days ago. It said that a 62-year-old man offered his seat to a young man standing beside him on a bus in Xi'an.

The chap was too embarrassed to follow the senior’s words, and all passengers were surprised by the gentleman's behavior because we're educated to help old people as much as possible. Not only in China, but in other countries, citizens are encouraged to offer seats to elders. However, the retired man said that he jogs from home to a vegetable market every morning to exercise and takes bus back home. It's usually the time for young people to go to work. He saw the young man standing next to him was very tired and thought that the young guy should sit to relax before getting to the working place. In contrast, his body was in good condition and wasn't mind standing for a while on the bus. After his explanation, that young man finally sat down.

Days later after the report, a same situation happened in Chengdu. A 60-something man offered his seat to a young woman standing next to him. The elderly read the Xi’an event on the Internet and thought it’s good to follow the suit of that Xi’an local. He himself also jags every morning and takes bus to go back home.

From my perspective, it's good for the senior to do so because I often see very healthy old people get on the bus and are offered seats by young passengers. Sometimes, those young people are tired after one day's work. I myself have the same feeling too when I finished my work so I just want to sit before I get off the bus. But the education, tradition and the banner on the bus tell us that we should offer our seats to senior, disabled, sick and pregnant women. So no matter how weary we are, we have to do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 10:14:31 |Display all floors

I will do as you did!

Yeah! I am agree with what you said.After a day work i feel very tired when i am taking the bus.I am eager to have a seat and rest for a while.So on the way to home i seldom to give out my seat to the elder one .
And some time the elder one take it for granted  that we young people should give out our seat to them and even doesn't say "thank you"when we give the seat to them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 10:33:13 |Display all floors
i have a experince about  that. in the morning, i took the bus at the first station, so i had a seat. and during the driving time, an old woman sat behind me. the steward let me offer the seat for the old woman.

there are many people on the bus, if i stand up, hard to find a place for my feet. so, i told the steward, should you please find the special seat (yellow seat on bus) for the lady?  the steward said nothing, but i can feel she angry to stare me a second time.

i did so, and comply with the banner, there are equipments for the special ppl on the bus. i think i can offer my common seat unless all yellow seats are seated for the special ppl.

but still a little bile, as i did it wrong. hehe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 10:46:58 |Display all floors

Reply #1 souvenir's post

will pay high esteem to that old gentleman who has a good health~~

offering seat or not is not an obligation~~if you are terriblely tired sitting in your seat,why press yourself standing up for others?:)

of course you can do it and I adore what you do.
Heavens bless you & me!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 10:49:55 |Display all floors
I place my agreement on what your said.
This phenomenon has made me puzzled for long time, because of the tired young people and healthy senior
people. Especially,  when heard from this truth that some senior pepole think it essental young people offers senior people seats.
to be or not to be

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 11:24:32 |Display all floors
i think all things should be considered as the matters .if  he /she is a very elder man /women in  an inconvenience act,then i will pleasure to offer my seat to him/her whether i am tired or not.i just offer my seat to whom is disabled or pregnant or sick or really elder. and i can't agree with what "yeshellen "said more,elder people should not  take it for granted  that we young people should give out our seat to them and even doesn't say "thank you"when we give the seat to them.

[ Last edited by joanna_ye at 2009-2-18 11:28 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-18 11:27:42 |Display all floors
I can not agree with you.Yes I admite that some elder people do have a strong and healthy body,and the young men are truely tired after a day hard work.However ,most of times,the old people need a seat to relax because of their weak body.What is more,to offer seat to elder people reflects the civilization of a person and a society.We young guys must shoulder the duty ,we can not give up our responsibility just because we feel a little tired ,and comfort must always give way to morality.

[ Last edited by wjw1006 at 2009-2-18 11:31 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.