E-C: how to translate "Make me." into Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-1 19:11:06 |Display all floors
Many thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 20:01:03 |Display all floors
If you have the context...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-2 11:12:58 |Display all floors
As I drove my blue Buick into the garage. I saw that a yellow Oldsmobile was _1_ too close to my space. I had to drive back and forth to get my car into the _2_ space. That left _3_ enough room to open the door. Then one day I arrived home _4_ , and just as I turned off the engine, the yellow Oldsmobile entered its space - too close to my car, _5_ . At last I had a chance to meet the driver. My patience had _6_ and I shouted at her, "Can't you see you're not _7_ me enough space. Park farther over. " Banging(猛推) open her door into _8_ , the driver shouted back: "Make me!" _9_ this she stepped out of the garage. Still, each time she got home first, she parked too close to my _10_ . Then one day, I thought, "What can I do " I soon found _11_. The next day the woman _12_ a note on her windshield(挡风玻璃):
Dear Yellow Oldsmobile,
I'm sorry my mistress(女主人) shouted at yours the other day. She's been sorry about it. I know it because she doesn't sing anymore while _13_. It wasn't like her to scream _14_ . Fact is, she'd just got bad news and was taking it out on you two. I _15_ you and your mistress will _16_ her.
                                                                                   Your neighbor,
                                                                                      Blue Buick
When I went to the _17_ the next morning, the Oldsmobile was gone, but there was a note on my windshield:
Dear Blue Buick,
My mistress is sorry, too. She parked so _18_ because she just learned to drive. We will park much farther over after this. I'm glad we can be _19_ now.
Your neighbor,
Yellow Oldsmobile
After that, whenever Blue Buick _20_ Yellow Oldsmobile on the road, their drivers waved cheerfully and smiled.
1. A. driven B.  parked C. stopped D. stayed     2. A. complete B. close C. narrow D. fixed
3. A. quite B. nearly C. seldom D. hardly         4. A. hurriedly B. first C. finally D. timely
5. A. as usual B. as planned C. as well D. as yet  6. A. run into B. run about C. run out D. run off
7. A. keeping B. saving C. offering D. leaving     8. A. mine B. hers C. itself D. ours
9. A. For B. With C. From D. Upon               10. A. room B. area C. front D. side
11. A. an instruction B. a result C. an answer D. a chance
12. A. put B. wrote C. sent D. discovered        13. A. working B. driving C. returning D. cooking
14. A. on end B. so long C. like that D. any more 15. A. hope B. know C. suppose D. suggest
16. A. comfort B. help C. forgive D. please       17. A. office B. flat C. place D. garage
18. A. crazily B. eagerly C. noisily D. early        19. A. neighbors B. friends C. drivers D. writers
20. A. followed B. passed C. found D. greeted

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-2 11:51:18 |Display all floors
make me 是应声。相当于“知道了!”,“噢!”。

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2009-2-2 11:56:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by leebohua at 2009-2-1 10:51 PM
make me 是应声。相当于“知道了!”,“噢!”。

Sorry, no.  "Make me!" is an expression of defiance, meaning, "No, I won't, but if you like, you can try to make me do it the way you want me to."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-2 12:39:10 |Display all floors
make me  21 up, 2 down
Quick response for any command.
Boss: Stop playing games and get to work.
Very clever employee: Make me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-2 13:38:50 |Display all floors
I think both of you, leebohua and jl, are right. What's the difference is the different context. Thank you both. I get it.:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.