请看这句话该怎么翻译? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-27 17:58:51 |Display all floors
请看下面这个汉语句子如何翻译成英文呢?
他仍以从前的方式生活着。
1. He lives in the way he lived.
2. He lives the way he lived.
3. He lives in the way he lived in.
以上3个英文句子哪个对呢?
有不少网友认为第2个句子是对的。我们知道,“以。。。方式”是"in ...way",其中的in是不可省略的。而第2个句子中没有in。所以,我总觉得第2个句子怪怪的。
不知大家怎么看这个问题?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 18:43:30 |Display all floors
Who tell you that the expression "in the way" cannot be used in its abbreviated form of "the way", which as a matter of fact is very commonly seen.  In the present case, I think the original Chinese may be translated into: He still lives the way he did.

[ Last edited by linjian at 2009-1-27 07:08 PM ]
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 19:10:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linjian at 2009-1-27 18:43
Who tell you that the expression "in the way" cannot be used in its abbreviated form of "the way", which as a matter of fact is very commonly seen.  In the present case, I think ...

您的这句话:“Who tell you that the expression "in the way" can be used in its abbreviated form of "the way", which as a matter of fact is very commonly seen. ”似乎是一个疑问句,可句末却不见问号,不知是何意思?能否烦劳解释一下?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 19:25:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fm1134 at 1-27-2009 19:10

您的这句话:“Who tell you that the expression "in the way" can be used in its abbreviated form of "the way", which as a matter of fact is very commonly seen. ”似乎是一个疑问 ...

Hehe, thanks for pointing out my error. Your impeccable command of English grammar is much admired.
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 19:28:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linjian at 2009-1-27 19:25

Hehe, thanks for pointing out my error. Your impeccable command of English grammar is much admired.

多谢您的夸奖!
不过您还没有解释您那句话是什么意思。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 19:37:02 |Display all floors
To put it plainly, I mean the way "the way" is used in the stentence No. 2, grammatically, is correct, though it should be noted that "in the way" and "the way" are not always interchangeable. For instance, in the sentence "do not you think there is something to be desired in the way you react to others' comments", the "in" should be retained.:)
Burning Alone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-27 21:35:53 |Display all floors
这么一解释,总算看明白了。
第1句中的way是一个名词,第2句中的way是一个副词。我查了几本字典,way作副词的意思是“非常地、大大地”,却没有“以某种方式做某事”的意思。比如:He is way ahead.他遥遥领先。
不知能否举出几个way作为副词“以某种方式做某事”意思的例句来呢?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.