Author: chinpatriot

The future of the Chinese language [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-1-19 13:02:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-1-19 13:27

China is more than 10 years behind south korea

Are you sure? Korea is not only Seoul and Busan. I doubt that it'll take ten years to surpass the RoK. More something like 3 to 5 years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 13:14:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-1-19 13:02

China is more than 10 years behind south korea

Are you sure? Korea is not only Seoul and Busan. I doubt that it'll take ten years to surpass the RoK. More something like 3 to 5 ...

I spent a while in the RoK.  Half of the country is Seoul and its suburbs, but I also visited the north east and the deep south although I missed Busan and never made it to Jaejudo.  It is fairly developed.  

I would say that China is more than just the south east coast.  Living in Beijing, where I do now it is hard for me to imagine it being anywhere close to Seoul in 10 years.  The core looks very nice but the suburbs are very different.  Taking a trip out to Shaanxi, Hubei, or Sichuan and you will see what I am talking about.  10 years is just not enough to catch up to Jeonranamdo or Gangwando

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-1-19 13:26:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-1-19 14:14

Just let me guess:

You're a newcomer to China, aren't you?

Have you seen the country 10 years ago, 20 years ago? I don't even want to go further back in history. Ask some people who are in the know. Ask them how it was and look what's there now. This gives you some ideas about speed. I've also seen Korea, the RoK that is, growing over the last 20 or so years. It was impressive but nothing similar of what has happened and is still going on in China. Just my two Yen.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 13:33:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-1-19 13:26

Just let me guess:

You're a newcomer to China, aren't you?

Have you seen the country 10 years ago, 20 years ago? I don't even want to go further back in history. Ask some people who ar ...

I first saw China 3 years ago on a trip from Korea.  The first thing I saw was Beijing and especilly given the Olympics I have seen a dramatic transformation.  Still 3-5 years of more Olympic level transformation is still not enough. A lot has changed I agree.  While I do not have 20 years of perspective I can see a definite difference in between the two.  Even where the buildings may have developed the people, business, and feeling in those places is not the same.   

I can agree to disagree but don't bring out this rookie crap.  My eyes may not have seen enough but I have been around both countries long enough to get some feel for them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 13:42:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by augusten at 2009-1-19 13:00

You should read seneca's racist comment against Chinese in almost every posts, especially during Olympic torch.

I have not read that extreme posts by Seneca,so I suspect the truth.
Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-1-19 13:49:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-1-19 14:33

No, no rookie cap, don't worry. I guess it's more a matter of perception. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 13:55:09 |Display all floors
i would rather see china compare herself to her own cultural soong dynasty, rather than the materialistic korea.
since soong, china was conquered by mongol and manchu, but the strength of her culture turn them into an expansion of china.  i think everyone involved benefitted, thank to culture.  everything went well, until the western barbarians showed up.

so, ur projection based on the perspective of western barbarism is not very healthy for all concerned.

when japan became no.1 in the world in the 80's, it wanted to go back to become japan, but couldn't, so the country kind at a lost from then on and wandered around till today.

as to the language, each should have their own.  but i hope all asian will speak their new asian language, derived from the best features of each nation.  some alphabetical language should be used as a technical language where most interactions with non-cultural, materialistic can be done, mostly via the computer.

from my experience as an educator, i v found that the exiting common language of mathematics is easy for asians, but difficult for westerners.  so, my feeling is that learning chinese for westerners will not be as easy as the chinese learning english.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.