Author: joeching

FUTURE OF LANGUAGES [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-17 06:36:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-15 07:47 PM

, what excuse would there be for a foreigner to not be able to learn it?

"a grammatically extremely precise language. " it must NOT be.

the cultural language of chinese characters has no rules, and when it came out beautiful, nobody could explain, kind like a piece of art or a joke -- it's just so.

and what i m proposing the set of characters representing the culture should be select with the utmost pain, so that it can strike home.  i tried in five years and find 5 characters:情義直忠合, but they need to do better.

again, to understand me, u must forsake any believe in the democratic way.  let's go for quality, not quantity.  only then the world will get back on its correct path.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 06:45:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-15 07:53 PM
Another point is that if you were to promote Far-Eastern cultural unity, a common language would need to be coupled with a common religions (a term which I'm using loosely here) too. For example on ...

to me, religion is just pre-historical.  try to talk to a person who mention god in his conversation.  all reasons go out of the window.

again, i think u still have too much affinity to democracy.  u see, in traditional china, most exemplified by soong dynasty, the most wise and learn scholars just hide in the mountains and fade away without leaving a trace.  a tao master once told me that lao tze was more like the rotten apple among a whole community of sages.  he was forced to write down his 5000 words of knowledge before they let him leave the village.

so, what i envision is that we only need to provide a the environment where anybody who wants to can potentially reach "unreachable" heights(little hollywood drama).  that's it.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 06:54:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-1-16 05:27 AM

In my words: You want to (over-) simplify English to make it look like Chinese - mere syllables with no affixes, plural markers, tense indicators, a 'pure' phonetic spelling in line with accept ...

english will only serve as the kernel to my technical, computer language.  it will not be spoken and used for communication with humans.  and it allows misspelling etc, as long as it's recognizable, or hintable to help with memorization.  

it will be a language u talk to computers(imagine in my company where i dont let my staff talk to each other, except indirectly through the tasks they did on the computer). the whole job of keeping thing in absolute order and error free will be the computer.  also the computer will guide all inputting and THINKING. so at the end of the day, any sloppy human user would be slapped around by the computer so hard, he will have his acts together soon enough.  trust me -- i retired at 41(25 yrs ago) bcs of my clean acts.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 08:41:29 |Display all floors
As far as computers go the core is based around ASCII and compatibility is the main thing - as far as the rest is concerned a simple bit of middle ware will do, the heart of computing is numeric but as an interface it is rather unfriendly - but technically its the best.
The winners and losers of the international language scene are those who are multilingual, their choice will probably include English, but more English speaking people are learning Chinese - that was unheard of 20 years ago.
In ethnic terms people do not tend to abandon their home language, in fact in modern times more young people are going back and learning their ethnic language when past governments have tried to obliterate them, especially true of old soviet block countries.
The whole point of rigid rules is to ensure the accuracy of communication, I say the rules need to be enforced more, less slang and a better  level of communication for all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 17:45:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 16-1-2009 15:14

I don't know if 'simplify' is the right word. If he wants to create a computer language out of it, then certainly simplification would be required (after all, computers can't understand literar ...

Well you must be quite young - computers are entirely based on mathematics, BASIC was one of the first attempts to make them use English as a language, before that we used mathematics, miles of Hexadecimal and binary, it originally was stored on bits of paper as hard disks did not carry the program until it was loaded, then we got tapes - having a computer work entirely in any language including the programming language is very simple - expensive but technically easy.

I think the whole argument is silly I speak several languages including Chinese, computer programming is only hard when you look at the structure of programs and are trying to get them to be efficient, but the language is easy, what is more some tools & most operating systems are multilingual anyway

Joe is clearly 'using a sledge hammer to crack a peanut' here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 18:44:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 16-1-2009 22:54

english will only serve as the kernel to my technical, computer language.  it will not be spoken and used for communication with humans.  and it allows misspelling etc, as long as it's recogniz ...

Joe languages are not that hard, maybe you should consider that it is you who are reaching out to the rest of the world and it is you that needs to put in the leg work to learn, lowering the standards of communication just so you can be lazy is not really a sensible option, the rest of the world copes fine, have you considered that a lazy attitude is not such a good thing, and if you have indeed retired at 41 well you are truly lazy to stop work before you are half way through your life, I will only retire when I can no longer work productively, I stopped working for someone else as soon as I could and now work for myself and wish to do so forever, in the spare time I have I enjoy studying - retire early?? - never an ambition of the low achievers and the lazy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-17 20:44:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by richardk at 2009-1-16 04:41 PM
As far as computers go the core is based around ASCII and compatibility is the main thing - as far as the rest is concerned a simple bit of middle ware will do, the heart of computing is numeric bu ...

in culture-oriented countries,like in asia and arab countries, communication is done in art form and the exchange is by feelings and moods.  but in material-oriented countries like the west, it's more mental sparring than anything else -- to brainwash or counter-posture.

i m suggesting  han characters for the cultural communication independent of any technical communication.  the latter should be flexible on the interface end, but iron-clad rigidity in the computer end, where computer intelligence and automated nomenclature convention should guide the logic.  

the computer intelligence, that i v been working on all my tech career, is really what the tech language is all about.  i have only brought it up speed to the point where others can take over the development.  but these "others" had better be the best the world can offer, since we are talking about creating, cummulative an unlimited computer brain.  a handful of the best programmers in the world can bring it to a level that would make technology, thus material pursuit, something trivial.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.